Pump Problem - Can anyone help me diagnose?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Jaruzel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Rectangular, inground, metal framed liner pool. 24ft x 12ft, 6ft deep end, 3ft shallow end.

Pump Problem - Can anyone help me diagnose?

Postby Jaruzel » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 12:29

HI All,

I'm new to the forums so please bear with me :)

I've got an inground, 24ftx12ft liner pool. Due to the bearings wearing out last year on the pump, I replaced it with the same model, a Sta-Rite 5P2RD, and it worked fine all summer. No leaks, good pressure.

Spinning it up now for the season, it's doing a weird thing, where the pump basket fills full of water, and then drains again, and then fills again, and then drains again, etc over and over. The pump is pulling water though, just not at full speed. I've removed and resealed the pump basket lid, and screwed it back on REALLY tight.

Nothing has changed since last summer (that I can see), and there's no obvious leaks anywhere.

I have a video of what it's doing here: https://youtu.be/p7CcPCp8Yfs

Has anyone got any ideas what's up? Is it the pump or some problem with the pipework?

Many thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump Problem - Can anyone help me diagnose?

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 27 Mar, 2018 14:45

You're sucking in air
Check your skimmer weir door isn't jammed up and the water level is 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer opening
Jaruzel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Rectangular, inground, metal framed liner pool. 24ft x 12ft, 6ft deep end, 3ft shallow end.

Postby Jaruzel » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 02:46

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The skimmer doesn't have a weir door, it uses one of those baskets with the floating weir rims. The skimmer well is always full of water, and the water level is high.

So I'm guessing this means, I have break in the pipework somewhere? :(
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 28 Mar, 2018 04:54

I doubt that you have a break because it wouldn't refill so quickly and you would be losing water
The symptoms are pointing to what I stated previously, water starvation, refill and pump then more water starvation
I'm not familar with your skimmer but look at the skimmer while the pump is doing it's thing just to check that your skimmer is working correctly
best pool cleaners
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: We’re a highly specialized group of pool folks who love talking about the most efficient pool pumps, filters, ultraviolet systems and robotic pool cleaners. There’s a lack of reliable product information available to pool owners. How’s a pool owner supposed to make an informed decision? We’re lifetime experts in the swimming pool industry. It’s what we do and what we know. Together, we have over 40 years of combined pool industry experience. This experience gives us a unique understanding of the many ways that swimming pools use and lose energy. When we founded BestPoolCleaners.net, our goal was to help pool owners just like you to save money on their chemical and energy bills using the latest leading-edge equipment not yet available at your local pool store or through mainstream retailers.

Postby best pool cleaners » Sat 21 Apr, 2018 20:36

I have the probplem with my pool pump, thanks for creat topic :)

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”