Missing pipe under main drain

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Sunshinez
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground concrete pool... unknown problems..empty pool..we just moved in

Missing pipe under main drain

Postby Sunshinez » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 00:43

We just moved to a house with a pool and I'm so excited! Problem is the pool is empty and we have no clue what or if anything was wrong. After a good rain the water never drained out so we took a look at the drain in the deep end. It was full of rocks! We thought someone may have dumped them in there but after digging out almost a 5 gallon bucket full the water drained and we looked down a noticed there is no pipe under the drain. We we're digging out rocks from under the pool the whole time! I don't know anything about pools but isn't there supposed to be a pipe there? It's a VERY large and very deep, almost commercial size, concrete pool. How do you fix this?? And what is the estimated cost?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Missing pipe under main drain

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 02:45

Seeing as you didn't have a main drain origonally you don't need one. When main drains leak they are generally just blocked off
I wouldn't attempt to put one in now although the code is if fitted to have two to prevent entrapment
I would be inclined to do any remedial work while the pool is empty and draining out and then block up the the hole.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Missing pipe under main drain

Postby Teapot » Sat 31 Mar, 2018 05:36

Would that help? :lol:

Listen to what Dennis said, you do not need a main drain, so seal it up and get on with enjoying the pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”