Copper to PVC plumbing

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
scre4sale@yahoo.com

Copper to PVC plumbing

Postby scre4sale@yahoo.com » Sat 09 Jun, 2018 17:55

I'm replacing the pump on my mom's pool with a Pentair SuperFlo VS. Everything is fine except the connection of the 1.5 inch copper supply to the 2 inch PVC piping. I installed a Copper to PVC compression fitting, but a lot of air keeps running through the system. I'm sure I didn't do the install correctly. I did this same install on my own pool a few years ago and had no problem. I tried to tighten the fitting (the unglued portion that connects with the copper), but that resulted in the pump not even priming, so I assume I overtightened it and created a crack somewhere.

I'm planning on installing a new Copper to PVC compression fitting. I can't find any videos online or even text of how to install the compression fitting. Any suggestions out there? I'm an internet-taught DIYer.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Copper to PVC plumbing

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 02:07

scre4sale@yahoo.com wrote:I'm replacing the pump on my mom's pool with a Pentair SuperFlo VS. Everything is fine except the connection of the 1.5 inch copper supply to the 2 inch PVC piping. I installed a Copper to PVC compression fitting, but a lot of air keeps running through the system. I'm sure I didn't do the install correctly. I did this same install on my own pool a few years ago and had no problem. I tried to tighten the fitting (the unglued portion that connects with the copper), but that resulted in the pump not even priming, so I assume I overtightened it and created a crack somewhere.

I'm planning on installing a new Copper to PVC compression fitting. I can't find any videos online or even text of how to install the compression fitting. Any suggestions out there? I'm an internet-taught DIYer.

Just make sure the copper is clean and smooth with no sharp edges to damage the rubber/nitrile seal
Should it still be a problem after, then dry it off and smear some silicone around the seal but wait 24hrs to make sure it's set before testing
scre4sale@yahoo.com

Postby scre4sale@yahoo.com » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 05:40

Thanks, Denniswiseman. How much should the fitting be tightened? Per your comment about the silicone, is that smeared around the connection between the fitting and the copper to eliminate any air gaps? I'm not familiar with silicone products. Does it come in a gel that dries/sets?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 06:44

Generally speaking a plastic compression fitting is hand tightened and just nipped up with a pair of grips (don't overtighten)
The silicon is a gel that sets but is flexible and should be smeared round the seal but don't use it first of all, only if you still have a problem (it may even work to seal your existing connection)
Don't put any on the threaded part of the plastic fitting as it can cause the thread to jump when tightened
A source of air intake is also the pump basket "O" ring which should be lubricated with silicone grease
You may see a lot of air in the pump basket which indicates a suction side air leak
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 13:49

Just a tip, if you are using silicon sealer (not grease) make sure it is a neutral cure and not acetal as that can eat metals over time.
scre4sale@yahoo.com

Postby scre4sale@yahoo.com » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 17:42

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”