Newbie needs help

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Gflande1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x32 ~23k gal in-ground pool

Newbie needs help

Postby Gflande1 » Tue 12 Jun, 2018 17:01

Wife and I just recently closed on a house with a 16 x 32 inground pool. After we moved in we noticed the pool pump was extremely loud. It’s a single speed 1 hp Hayward pump, local pool company says it sounds like bad bearings. I wanted a variable speed pump anyway, New York electric prices are high, so I purchased a 1.5 hp Pentair SuperFlo VS from Amazon.

Anyway, before I install the new pump, I want to install a 4” concrete pad for the filter and the pump. As you can see from the photos, I have some work to do.

One thing I noticed was there is no ground/bond (don’t know the difference) wire connected to the existing pump. Is that a concern? My plan was to pound a 4’ rebar into the ground next to the pad and use a rebar ground connector to connect a 8 gauge copper ground wire to the new pump. Will this be sufficient? Or do I need to think of something else?

I would guess the pool is atleast 25 years old. I’m guessing this as the liner that is in the pool now was replaced 10 years ago, I’m assuming the previous liner would have lasted ~15 years.

Plumbing wise, I’ll keep everything similar, with the exception of moving the filter further way from the pump, by a foot or two, and making the connection from the pump and filter with 1.5” PVC, instead of the hose. I will also add couplers at the in and out of the filter for easier maintenance. Any other suggestions?
3760AC60-75FB-483F-A8D7-27862E422711.jpeg
3760AC60-75FB-483F-A8D7-27862E422711.jpeg (165.97 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Thanks
Glen

RBM ATL
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Old school 60"s in ground 1.5" plumbing

Re: Newbie needs help

Postby RBM ATL » Wed 27 Jan, 2021 18:27

empty the filter and change the sand too
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Newbie needs help

Postby Teapot » Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:16

The filter looks quite small for a pool of that size which means you cant get a large flow through the filter. At least you will be able to dial the pump down to reduce the electric bill. You could change the filter for a larger one, if you do then I suggest a side mounted valve version and a high flow Jandy pro series neverlube backwash valve. That will reduce the frictional losses the a multiport valve produces and that allows you to wind your pump down sime more making bigger savings in electricity which will pay for the additional equipment in a season, beyond that big savings in electricity. If you do change the 65 million year old sand for new 65 million year old sand (you can just clean it) swap it for something better like Dr Drydens activate filter media.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”