Filter Air Leak

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Ctnapps
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground. 40x15. Approx. 25k gallon. Hayward DE Filter 1.5 HP Pump. Plaster surface. No skimmer, utilize auto vac. only one return. Yes. Needs to be rebuilt!

Filter Air Leak

Postby Ctnapps » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 00:39

Hello All,

I was injured about 8 weeks and let pool sit for a month with no care. Due to lack of skimmer (came this way when purchased home), it needs to be taken care of a couple times per week. In attempt to get it cleaned up, I opened filter, cleaned and inspected grids. Small amount of silt still at the bottom of grids that I can’t remove. Filter and grids are less than 2 years old. Put filter back together and found pressure would rise to around 19-20 after hour or so of running. In the past it was about 10-11. It has strong suction as well as return, so I decided to see what happens. I added checmials (Shock, Liquid Chlorine and Acid for PH). After running pool for over 1 week now at 24 hours per day, the water is still Green. The water is much healthier, but not clear. I’ve backwashed everyday and kept chlorine levels high and still not clear. Chlorine levels all high, PH in range. The filter is just not cleaning the water. I assume only possible issue is air leak as pressure slowly rises from 12-20 over about an hour. Brought out Pool Company. They also cleaned and inspected grids, replaced filter gasket and pump gasket, still same issue; they are also at a loss and want to replace all piping. All piping is above ground. I’ve re-sealed all joints in pipes and inspected for tiny holes and found nothing. I’ve also taken off and reconnected all fittings between pump and filter. I don’t know what else to do. Due to the high pressure, the filter is not properly cleaning the water. Open to any suggestions. Many thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Filter Air Leak

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 01:59

If your water is green then you have an algae bloom and need to Slam (shock level and maintain) with relation to your Chlorine / CYA Chart and recommended Pool Levels
Your pool didn't get to that stage overnight so persevere with the slam
The algae is clogging up your filter, forget about air for now untill you complete your slam
How do you test? You really need a decent test kit (Taylor K2006C or TF100)of your own to slam as it requires testing multiple times a day
Can you give these numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Filter Air Leak

Postby Teapot » Thu 21 Jun, 2018 05:21

Seconded

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”