Above Ground Pool & Tim Allen Pump question - LOL

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ecurrent
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 16 x 48 Ultra Reliant 19" sand filter Reliant 1 HP pump

Above Ground Pool & Tim Allen Pump question - LOL

Postby ecurrent » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 09:10

Greetings Earthmen!
My 16' x 48" Intex pool needs replacing (leaking). I live in Tucson, AZ where temps soar to above 110 deg and pools die an early death (I only get 4 or 5 years out of a pool here). A couple years back I bought a Reliant 19" sand filter with a 1 hp pump - 4500 GPH! (works awesome - Tim Allen would be proud). However the new pools I'm looking at (15' x 48") have 1 1/4" hoses (2 outlet, 1 inlet) instead of 1 1/2 and don't come with split hose plunge valves. I can use 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 adapters and use my old valves and hoses but will reducing the hose diameter harm my well-oversized pump? I'm also concerned about the threads for connecting my pool vac. While we are here, Intex vs Bestway?
Thanks - standing by.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Above Ground Pool & Tim Allen Pump question - LOL

Postby Teapot » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 15:45

The smaller pipes will put a bit more strain on your wallet as it forces the pump to work a bit harder costing more electricity especially trying to push it through a 19" filter but I guess you are happy showing off your macho 1hp pump on a small pool?
My bigger pool runs very well on my pump and has done for around 7-8 years I filter the water using only 0.08hp. Obviously I turn the pump up for backwashing but you are trying to filter at backwashing rates, what a waste.
ecurrent
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 16 x 48 Ultra Reliant 19" sand filter Reliant 1 HP pump

Postby ecurrent » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 16:03

Nah, I simply didn't know anything about pool pumps when I bought it. I had a creepy crawler that wouldn't even move using the supplied pump.
Thanks for the feedback about the pump.
I only run the pool pump for about an hour before swimming or when cleaning the pool. I just purchased a 14' x 14' square Bestway pool ($389.00!) so I suppose cleaning it will now take about 15 minutes (grin).
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 27 Jun, 2018 16:44

Aha, yes you would need a powerful pump to make the creepy crawler work but maybe do it manually, usually much quicker and relaxing with a beer in one hand lol.
Slower filtration is better filtration and running a bit longer would help, skimmers can only work when they are running otherwise more work with the cleaner getting it off the bottom you can't cheat!! but have fun!!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”