Pump Noise

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Hokus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is 18x30 in ground vinyl with Hayward Super 2 1hp pump and sand filter

Pump Noise

Postby Hokus » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 13:33

I have a very annoying crackling popping sound coming from Hayward multi valve. If i have an air leak i cannot find it. This has been going on for the some time. If i turn a valve to the chlorinator in the off position that increases the pressure and the noise stops. It's not the chlorinator because if i plug a return pool jet that increases the pressure and it stops. Pool plumbing is 1.5 and 30 yrs old. Any ideas?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pump Noise

Postby Teapot » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 15:50

Sounds like cavitation but that usually occurs just in front of an impeller in the pump, Because of the rapid change of direction in the multiport it is, I suppose, still possible. When you increase the pressure it stops which is systematic of cavitation. The number of posters from the USA with large pumps and small filters is overwhelming so I am surprised we do not hear more of this. You don't say what size (dia) your filter is but reducing your pump speed would help if it's cavitation and would with 1.5" plumbing save you money.
Hokus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is 18x30 in ground vinyl with Hayward Super 2 1hp pump and sand filter

Postby Hokus » Sun 01 Jul, 2018 16:24

Thanks for replying. My filter is a hayward S244S which is 24" round and maybe 36 tall. I thought too it might be cavitation but i see no signs of air coming from return jets. Do you think maybe a 3/4 or 1.5 hp rated impeller would make a difference with a 1 hp motor? Not real sure how to slow down the motor
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 02 Jul, 2018 10:25

Hi, you may not see any bubbles, with cavitation the water is split apart into various gas formations but it then recombines back into the stable form we know as water. Only good point is the collapse of the bubble is a very high temperature so sterilising the water.

Not sure of what voltage your supply is 240v, 110v? But using a single phase to single phase inverter will allow you to slow your pump. http://www.invertekdrives.com/variable- ... gle-phase/

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”