DE not coming out during backwash

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
brianbo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' agp, DE Hayward 2420 filter, MPV = S710Xr50

DE not coming out during backwash

Postby brianbo » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 16:42

Hi,
I have a 24' agp, Hayward Pro Grid DE 2420 filter with MPV = Hayward S710XR50.
When I opened the pool in June, I backwashed and no dirty water came out. A few weeks later I vacuumed and backwashed and no DE came out. Last week, I replaced the spider gasket that I bought at Leslie's and it is not a Hayward gasket.
First time after replacing gasket, I noticed a little bit of water coming out of waste so I went back and did it again. I did see some of the old gasket still in the grooves. I took it out and put the gasket back in. The grooves seemed clear of old gasket.

Now when the filter is running, a real lot of water comes out of the waste port so much that I had to connect a hose from waste that goes into the pool when the filter is running or water will go below the skimmer.
Als, when I put the MPV in backwash, the handle is sort of limp and no DE comes out but it has not come out the whole season.
1) Should I put glue on the spider gasket?
I did push it down as tight as I could.
2) Can the issue be the MPV and the filter or just the MPV?

I have had the filter and MPV for the last 8 years or so and no issues.

Either this is my last week or next week, I will be closing the pool. At that time, I will see if there are any tears in the DE filter.
Is there anything else that I should look at in the DE filter when I have it opened?

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”