DE in pool after every filter stop/start

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Mark_D_Shark

Postby Mark_D_Shark » Sat 02 Sep, 2006 14:27

I have a DE filter system with a multiport valve. Every time I shut the filter off, when I start it up again clouds of DE come out of the return line into the pool for 3 or 4 minutes. This happens even if I don't change any of the valve settings, just leaving the filter off for a few minutes causes it.

Once the filter has been running for a few minutes it works fine. I can let the DE settle and vacuum it up with no problem.

A also get a large amount of DE through the return lines when I am coating the grids after a backwash.

I checked the grids and there are no leaks. I also replaced my multiport gasket but that didn't help either.

I am afraid I have something wrong in my plumbing system. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ruary

d.e. in pool

Postby ruary » Wed 13 Sep, 2006 02:17

I am having the same problem. I can't find any holes in the filter grids and I have no idea how the d.e. is getting out of the filter.

Postby Guest » Sun 01 Apr, 2007 18:37

I am having the same problem. I put DE in the skimmer basket and it comes out of the pop-up heads in the pool.
howzball
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby howzball » Thu 03 May, 2007 18:09

If the grids are for certain *not* damaged, I would revisit the backwash valve.
Replacing the o-ring/gasket doesn't always solve the problem if the backwash valve body is damaged.
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Mon 07 May, 2007 18:40

Look at the grids, lateral, air bleeder sock, and filter manifold; are there any breaks
nyfb2

too much DE

Postby nyfb2 » Thu 24 May, 2007 11:54

I think you all may be adding too much D.E.

I used to do the same thing. I hope you're not using a large coffee can to measure. The recommended amounts should be right on the filter.

Good Luck!
patrick

DE filters

Postby patrick » Sat 09 Jun, 2007 11:16

I cant seem to figure it out...I prime, checked for leaks, added more DE and still cant seem to get good water pressure in the filter or exiting.
Anyone have any ideas? :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
cal

puff of de in return

Postby cal » Sat 13 Sep, 2008 11:48

RE: The brief puff of DE in returns just after the pump comes on-- I get the same thing (PENTAIR FNS 48 DE FILTER & MULTIPORT VALVE)> The longer its off the more DE in the return. I think that there could be a design flaw that allows the filter pack to ride up on the stem inside the filter housing when the pump goes off (back-pressure?) and that allows de to enter the return (maybe). Any ideas? (Im going to tape the neck of the stem to see if that "stems" the problem). Also I want to know if "shark" solved the problem last year. Thanks
handyman

Postby handyman » Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:57

replenish your DE in the skimmer with multiport valve set on "Rinse". When all DE has gone to filter, go to "filter" mode.
Tony the Pool Guy

Postby Tony the Pool Guy » Fri 24 Jun, 2011 16:34

You should also check the small rubber, round gasket that is connected to the grid neck. It is best to change this every year. Also, don't forget to use a little bit of Jacks lube on it.
Fltech
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Working in it. Hoping to start this winter when we slow down a little. But looking for advice.

Postby Fltech » Thu 28 Jul, 2011 21:30

DE in the pool is a result of one of two things, either a bad multi-port valve or a leak inside the filter (grid, inlet elbow o-ring, top grid manifold, or air relief tube which is attached to the grid manifold). Most people over look rips in the grids. Make sure to clean them off very good and spend a few minutes looking at each. It is easy to miss a Rip in a grid. Most rips are located at the bottom of the grid in the circular area. I have fixed this problem hundreds of times and 9 times out of 10 its in the grids.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”