high pressure. possible return line blockage

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
cOS

high pressure. possible return line blockage

Postby cOS » Sat 03 Mar, 2007 22:31

hello. I have a high pressure problem with the filter system. I have tried replacing the sand and backwashing without any success in reducing the high pressure problem. when I export my water to waste, the pressure sits at about 6 or so psi. on filter the pressure sits at around 16psi. I assume this is caused by a blockage in the return line somewhere. I tried poring acid in the return line and had all these black stuff coming out. it didn't help much. I tried stuffing my garden hose at the return outlet but didn't have any success either. anyone got any ideas?

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sun 04 Mar, 2007 03:18

First try turning your system off. Does your gauge return to 0?

Next try putting your valve on bypass or recirculate or whatever it is called in your system what is the pressure reading now?

Try removing the eyeballs, what is the pressure now?

Was there a reason besides the pressure you thought the return line is blocked? It would be unusual for this to happen as it is after the filter and anything should be taken out by the filter.

Postby Guest » Thu 08 Mar, 2007 05:33

dynamictiger wrote:First try turning your system off. Does your gauge return to 0?

Next try putting your valve on bypass or recirculate or whatever it is called in your system what is the pressure reading now?

Try removing the eyeballs, what is the pressure now?

Was there a reason besides the pressure you thought the return line is blocked? It would be unusual for this to happen as it is after the filter and anything should be taken out by the filter.

when you say turning your system off, I am assuming you mean the pump isn't running. yes the gauge is at 0 when the system is not running.

the pressure on recirculation is the same pressure as in filter mode.

I don't know what eyeballs are.

yes. the system is rather old. it has an old salt chlorinator cell after the filter before the water returns to the pool. obviously the chlorinator cell builds up salt deposits on the cell over time. I think that these salt deposits has being accumulating overtime somewhere at the return line. that's why there is bits and pieces coming out of the return line when I pour acid into it.

I went to a hire place, where you can hire plumbing tools for blocked pipes. they had this thing called an electric eel. but the sizing of the thing is too big and he says it may not turn at 90 degree bends. then the next size up is too powerful for pool pipes.
cOS

Postby cOS » Thu 08 Mar, 2007 05:34

i just noticed that you are from perth. do you know anyone in the sydney metro? :)
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 08 Mar, 2007 14:09

Perth to Sydney is 8 hours fly time in a 777. I know a few people in Sydney, mostly in the pool industry.

I have never heard of a salt cell causing calcium deposits to the point it blocks the return pipe.

I think you should give the cell a thorough clean as it will add back pressure if it is not clean.

The eyeball is the return fitting the water comes out of, they are usually push fits, and simply lift out without too much force.

Electric eels and the like aren't usually used in the pool trade.

The pressure did not decrease on recirculate, this is a concern as it should have decreased by the difference in the filter about 3-5 psi. You could try fitting another gauge after the filter and see what this reads.

HTH
cOS

Postby cOS » Fri 09 Mar, 2007 08:39

can you put me onto someone reliable in sydney?

I have a waterco t600. it has a water indicator in the waste outlet. is that the eyeball thing you are talking about? there isn't anything to detach after the return outlet except the cell.

I don't know any pressure gauge that fits into the pipes or any sort of fitting.

because this problem has being neglected for a long time now. I've had brown and green algae build ups. quite severe over the time. is it best to drain it now? or can it be fixed with shocking and vacuuming to waste? quite abit of junk at the bottom of the pool after shocking.

much appreciated on your help.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 17:34

Sorry was called away this weekend to Christmas Island.
I don't have a contact in Sydney. You would probably want to try Poolwerx I think.
amber

pump and water jts

Postby amber » Sun 25 Mar, 2007 16:58

WE JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE WITH AN ABOVE GROUND POOL . I CANT KEEP THE PUMP FULL OF WATER AND THE JUTS ARE SENDING OUT A MILKY CLOUDY SUBSTANCE. THE SKIMMER IS SUCKING THE WATER IN SO FAST. I HAVE BACKWASHED AND CLEANED FILTER. THERE IS SOME SAND IN MY POOL I DONT KNOW IF IT IS FROM THE SAND PUMP WE HAVE . CAN ANYONE HELP????????????[/b]
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby dynamictiger » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 04:30

Try filling the pool up more and see if that fixes the issue.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”