My pump wont' suck......please help.....

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
msjanetjones
I'm new here
I'm new here

My pump wont' suck......please help.....

Postby msjanetjones » Fri 04 May, 2007 20:55

I am new to the group and I have been reading for hours. I just am in a desperate mode now.

We bought our house about a year ago and had 1 summer with the inground pool.

It is hayward, no sand I believe if I am reading this right I have a cartridge. It has a tall cylinder where we screw off the top handle thing and there I can pull the filter out. (please forgive for my newbieness. I really am trying to learn this thing)

We had issues with it all summer trying to keep it primed but got through. Towards the end we even had awesome clear water.

Well, now we are trying to get it up and going but we can't seem to keep it primed. It will stay going for about 15 mins or so but then nothing. The basket thing beside the motor runs dry and the motor runs but no water comes out of the jets or anything.

I have tried what I think you guys are calling backwashin???? I place the hose with high water pressure into the hole in the basket going into the pump. The pressure gauge seems to go up. I know NO water is being sucked from either the main line or the skimmer. I just don't know what to do. I am really ready to fill it in and call it a day.

Any help is soooo appreciated.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Sat 05 May, 2007 17:57

Sometimes a forum is not the best avenue for advice. In this case I suspect this is so, and that a site visit is really required.

Having said that there are a few things you can try.

On the suction line the line leading into the H & L Basket there is most likely a valve. Check this valve is positioned so all the water is being drawn from the main drain.

Remove the lid from the basket and fill the pot as much as you can with water, ensuring when you replace the lid the O ring is not being pushed out.

On top of the filter should be a small valve that relieves air from the filter. Open this as fully as possible.

Now start the pump and wait for water to come out of the filter air relief. Once a good stream of water is coming out close this valve. This can take some time.

Monitor prime in the pump and ensure it is remaining full.

Check the level of water in the pool it should be in the top third of the weir door into the skimmer box.

Whilst the pump is running turn the suction valve so that water is being drawn equally from both lines.

Monitor prime.

Then after a while longer, adjust the valve again so all water is being drawn from the skimmer.

I have tried in this post to cover the most likely basics that may be incorrect. However as I stated there may be no substitute for a site visit in this case.
msjanetjones
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby msjanetjones » Sun 06 May, 2007 16:19

thank you for your help. I really do appreciate you taking the time to list the process in detail as you did. At least after reading your post I know that I am doing the process correctly.

I must have some sort of problem somewhere that I am not knowledgeable about becuase this still does not work.

I am simply going to call a pool man in the morning and BEGGGG for help.

Thanks!
twain220
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby twain220 » Mon 07 May, 2007 17:45

msjanetjones wrote:thank you for your help. I really do appreciate you taking the time to list the process in detail as you did. At least after reading your post I know that I am doing the process correctly.

I must have some sort of problem somewhere that I am not knowledgeable about becuase this still does not work.

I am simply going to call a pool man in the morning and BEGGGG for help.

Thanks!

You can also run a water hose over the lid, and the pipes leading from the front of the pump to the ground...in older pools, 'gate valves' are often the culprit...if your valves on the suction side turn like a water faucet, hold some water over them while you try to prime the pump...it should pick up if you do this...you could also have a clogged impellar, but you'd have to call an expert
chrisinspring

Postby chrisinspring » Mon 07 May, 2007 18:49

Sounds to me there is air leak, but normally it doesn't take 15 min....Call a pro
msjanetjones
I'm new here
I'm new here

Problem Solved!!

Postby msjanetjones » Tue 08 May, 2007 10:02

I am pleased to announce the problem has been solved. It was a combination of 2 things.

First the pipe that brings the water from the bottom of the pool up into the basket/pump was plugged with a pair of the grandbaby's swimming goggles. We finally dug those out.

Then my husband as much as he tried to help had put in an extra pipe running off of the suction pipe to have a place to plug the vacuum into and he finally got the hacksaw and cut this off and plugged it up. Surprise!! We got suction power back!!

Whew!! The pool is on it's way to clean and pretty. We have gone from the no pumping, green slimy water to great circulation, and only slightly blue/green water.

I have a pool company coming out today to do the chemicals for me. I have given up on this process and for the fee that they will charge me monthly to come 1 X per week to do the chemicals I can't beat the loss of headaches for me.

Thank you all for your help. This forum is great!! :!: :!:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”