I keep getting Hozed!

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
mmm6075
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

I keep getting Hozed!

Postby mmm6075 » Thu 31 May, 2007 19:13

My hoses do not want to stay attached to my pump. They will work fine for a while, but sometimes when I am vacuuming, the pressure I guess builds up and my hose will come off, and water goes everywhere.
I have them attached with those metal deals with the screws in them (the name escapes me), and I cannot make them any tighter then they already are (I don't want to damage the pump hose fittings.

Are there any solutions that will help me keep my hoses from coming loose?

thanks

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 31 May, 2007 20:28

I had this same problem with one above-ground pool I had. The hose would fly off and douse the motor with water which would trip the GFI outlet. Then I couldn't start back up until everything dried out!

Finally, I bit the bullet, went to Home Depot and hard piped everything with PVC. It really didn't cost that much as the pipe runs are small. I installed two unions for easy removal during the winter, and never had a problem again. I also never again had air in the basket as the pipes don't ever get loose and allow for air suckage.

Overkill maybe but it solved the problem and worked perfectly.
mmm6075
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby mmm6075 » Thu 31 May, 2007 20:32

That sounds good, but I wouldn't know how to do that. Just replace all my soft hoses with PVC? Do you just glue the fittings directly to the pump and filter? How do you disconnect in the winter?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”