Pump Timers

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
pastemr

Pump Timers

Postby pastemr » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 11:27

Hello:

I was wondering if it is advisable to use a pool timer?

I had a person at a store say no don't do it but I have heard of other people doing so to save electricity.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Bill

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Pump Timers

Postby Backglass » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 12:40

pastemr wrote:Hello:

I had a person at a store say no don't do it but I have heard of other people doing so to save electricity.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Bill

Once your water is balanced and swimmable you don't have to run the pump & filter 24 hours a day. A timer is fine. I run mine 6 hours on 6 hours off round the clock.

I would be curious why the pool store advised against it.
pastemr

pump timer

Postby pastemr » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 15:12

Once your water is balanced and swimmable you don't have to run the pump & filter 24 hours a day. A timer is fine. I run mine 6 hours on 6 hours off round the clock.

I would be curious why the pool store advised against it.

She told me this would harm my water balance resulting in the need to drain pool and start again witrh fresh water!?!???

ps

Thanks for the reply!!!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: pump timer

Postby Backglass » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 15:26

pastemr wrote:She told me this would harm my water balance resulting in the need to drain pool and start again witrh fresh water!?!???

Unless you have a salt/chlorine generator, chlorine dispenser or other inline device of some kind, your pump & filter have nothing to do with the chemical makeup of the water. They just keep things moving and clear of debris.

You rarely if ever need to drain the entire pool unless you are doing physical repairs to the pool itself (new liner, etc) or did something seriously wrong with your chemical additions!
pastemr

Re: pump timer

Postby pastemr » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 15:47

Backglass wrote:
pastemr wrote:She told me this would harm my water balance resulting in the need to drain pool and start again witrh fresh water!?!???

Unless you have a salt/chlorine generator, chlorine dispenser or other inline device of some kind, your pump & filter have nothing to do with the chemical makeup of the water. They just keep things moving and clear of debris.

You rarely if ever need to drain the entire pool unless you are doing physical repairs to the pool itself (new liner, etc) or did something seriously wrong with your chemical additions!

I have a "home made" chlorine dispenser that sits in the skimmer basket. Other than that, that's it.

I read an article about pump hp. and was wondering if lower would be better. The person who wrote the article said a lower hp allows water and therefore debris etc to remain in filter longer thereby getting filtered better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your input!
Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re: Pump Timers

Postby Buggsw » Sat 02 Jun, 2007 08:09

pastemr wrote:Hello:

Any advice?

Thanks!

Bill

I can tell you this - I don't know anyone, out here in Arizona that doesn't have a timer for their pump - and we sure have a lot of pools.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”