freeze proof black poly?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
wiz28
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

freeze proof black poly?

Postby wiz28 » Tue 12 Jun, 2007 20:31

I just had all 4 of my lines replaced. Had an air leak in the suction side and since I had the returns right below them, I had them replace everything. My question is that they told me that I will never have to blow the lines out again when closing for the winter. Supposedly these black poly pvc pipes are freeze proof and will expand, not crack when frozen. I have never heard of this before and wanted to know if anyone else has heard anything. I had Crystal pools do the work. This was the same company that installed the pool in 1976 lol. I think I still plan on blowing the lines out, only problem is that they plumbed everything without a quick disconnect so I may have to change that. Anyone hear of this, please let me know.

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 17:46

Reading your post I think they have used HDPE polyethylene pipe not PVC. Or Flexible PVC. In either case the lines can expand to accomodate the increased volume of freeze conditions - in theory anyway.

I would still be inclined to blow the lines clear.

HTH
wiz28
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

black poly

Postby wiz28 » Wed 13 Jun, 2007 20:24

Thanks for the info. Update: I called them back today and asked them about a warranty on the pipes and they said that they have never had a problem with them. I do want something in writing on it though. Also was wondering how the heck they can off a warranty on this since you would obviously have to prove it and how the heck you gonna do that? Dig up the lines? lol.
dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Postby dynamictiger » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 18:05

You can prove a leak with a Pressure Test no need to dig a line up.
wiz28
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby wiz28 » Mon 25 Jun, 2007 20:07

Thank you, I will have to rem that. I did find out that they gurantee it for 5 years so I think I will try it for those 5 and then blow them out.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”