Advice on plumping size over 2"?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jayruh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In construction 20x40 auto cover, 25500gal, ecostar pump, c4030 filter, hayward heater

Advice on plumping size over 2"?

Postby jayruh » Sat 09 Mar, 2019 13:06

I'm looking for some input on my plumbing pipe size for my new pool (20x40, 25,000gal, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, sr slide, 4 deck jets)(ecostar pump, c4030 filter, h250 heater). As a side note the farthest skimmer is 60ft away and the pad will be pretty much level with the pool.

My plan as of now is to run 2" from both skimmers to the pad and then tee into 3" to the pump. The pad will be done in 2", all returns will be in 2", slide 1.5", deckjets 1".

Maybe i'm over thinking this but i thought of running 3" from the skimmers all the way to the pump and plumbing everything on the pad in 2.5" for increased flow. Like i said maybe i'm over thinking this or upsizing the pipe is just overkill and wasting money? Any advice is helpful!!

Thanks for any input in advance!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Advice on plumping size over 2"?

Postby Teapot » Sat 09 Mar, 2019 18:01

What is the flow stated on the pump? Personally I would go for 3 skimmers and 6 returns but it does matter which skimmers as well, they are not all created equal. Are you placing skimmers at the end of the pool or along the long sides?
jayruh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In construction 20x40 auto cover, 25500gal, ecostar pump, c4030 filter, hayward heater

Postby jayruh » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 10:57

They are aqua genie skimmers placed on the 40' side of the pool (pool is also only 4' deep). The ecostar is capable of flowing 166gpm if ran to the max.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 16:20

Ok Jayruh, Good the skimmers are on the long side, helpful that the aquagenie's have the built in return as well. That pointing down deep is good as the 4 returns on the opposite side will push across the surface, this creates a rolling effect of the water which is the best for circulation and dirt removal. As I said, I would go with 3 skimmers but you should be ok with the 2 if not.
There is nothing to be gained with a high flow rate, it just causes fine particles to push through the filters and back to the pool, slower is definitely better. What micron are your filters?
I wouldn't run that size pool at much more than 100 GPM for good filtration and energy saving but time will tell. Longer runs with less flow are better. I switched to 24/7 filtration about 7-8 years back and the water quality is excellent and less manual cleaning. I worked the speed/flow to give 4 turnovers in 24 hours and that I do for a power use of just 65 watts of electricity. Big savings!

With your Aqua genie skimmers, if you use chlorinating tablets all the time your stabiliser level will keep rising above the recommended 50-70ppm to up into the 200ppm and you will loose control of your water and have to replace 3/4 of it. get the level where you want it then switch to bleach, ordinary household bleach from the store will do.

Back to your original question now we have a better picture and 2" pipe will do as you suggested. Try to use more swept bends than knuckle bends they rob you of flow and mean you spends more on electricity.

Keep in touch, love to see how this progresses.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”