Air leak question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Sky1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool linered , with sand filter old gear

Air leak question

Postby Sky1 » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 13:32

I wondered if anyone could answer this one for me , can underground pipes leak air in ? I can’t work out how a possible fracture on a main drain pipe that’s 9 ft underground can leak air in . I assume any air on the suction side getting sucked in has to be above ground level .

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Air leak question

Postby Teapot » Sun 21 Apr, 2019 16:08

Annoyingly they seems to, depends on soil type I would imagine, clay being quite good at being air tight. You would have to be sure the leak was at the depth you say and not somewhere else on that line. A Pro with a hydrophone could pinpoint a leak by listening for the bubbling noise caused by an air leak.
Sky1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool linered , with sand filter old gear

Postby Sky1 » Tue 23 Apr, 2019 11:38

Thanks for replying , i belive its higher , underneath the slabs , years of water washing out the pionting. So another question what pointing is best to use thats doesnt fall to pieces with chlorine , i think i may use a resin based one , as constant use of pool and dripping chlorine kills the cement pointing in my opinion .

Im going to run skimmer only the pool doesnt need draining , the spider gasket has also had it so thats next port of call , i used gas leak spray on all joints in pump area and none got sucked in re the air leak .
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:01

You only need the skimmers, main drains do virtually nothing. All dirt enters from the surface so that is the best place to remove it.

I use external tile grouting around the pools, water proof although a little more expensive it lasts well.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”