Replacing a 90 degree elbow junction

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Zmbsqd
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground

Replacing a 90 degree elbow junction

Postby Zmbsqd » Sun 12 May, 2019 22:42

I have a crack in a 90 degree elbow junction. I dug down and exposed the leak, then cut out the junction. Now I’m puzzled as to how to replace it. I bought a new elbow fitting and couplers, and have some pipe,primer and glue. Thing is, I’m at a standstill as to how to fit it in. Because there needs to be overlap on both ends, I can’t just put it right in like I thought I could. That would require (as far as I can tell) having to bend the hell out of one end in order fit it in. Seems ill advised if not impossible. So looking around I came across slip fixes, which seems like it might work. But I’m really wondering if I’m just missing something obvious here. Any input appreciated.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Replacing a 90 degree elbow junction

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 13 May, 2019 02:33

You need to excavate further back on one pipe so that you can get the space to fit the elbow.
I would try a dummy run first (without glue)
The slip couplings would work with silicone but the glue would go off to quickly
Zmbsqd
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground

Postby Zmbsqd » Mon 13 May, 2019 12:11

Are you saying excavate further back so I *can* bend the pipe far enough to slip in the coupler? The space for the joint and couplers is not a problem. It's just being able to fit them in.

When you say the slip couplings would work with silicone, do you mean just silicone lubricant, and no glue?

One other option I have thought about is using an adjustable rubber pipe coupler - one that would fit over the two pipes being joined, and would be screw-tightened with a metal band around the outside. But I'm not sure that would hold at the psi of the return line.

(Sorry if these are basic/nonsensical questions. I'm trying to figure this out as I go. There are limited professional repair people where I am, and I'd need to wait months to schedule one.)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 13 May, 2019 13:51

As Dennis explained more excavation required. You could try a Fernco flexible fitting, bends are longer than elbow fittings and flow better so may go straight in. (other flexible couplings are available) these are very chemical resistant so fine for pool use and also accommodate some movement.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”