Installing a booster pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
vandaisy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gal, inground pool. salt-water, DE filtration, liner, 2 skimmer,

Installing a booster pump

Postby vandaisy » Wed 15 May, 2019 10:40

Hi, new member here, just joined a few minutes ago. Pool owner for 2 years, but the pool is at least 5+years old.

I've been getting really tired cleaning the pool for the past 2 years, so now am looking at installing a booster pump for a Polaris cleaner. My current set up is I have a 20k gal in-ground pool. salt water system with DE filter and a regular pool pump. I'm trying to figure out how or where to plumb in the booster pump. do I need to add an additional return line to the pool or can I pipe it into the existing? Any other info is helpful too.

Until I figure out how to add an attachment on the post, I'll post a picture of my set up later. Thanks for any help

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Installing a booster pump

Postby Teapot » Wed 15 May, 2019 12:35

Once you have spent all that money on a Polaris and booster pump and extra electricity to run it you'll get just as tired getting the Polaris out, cleaning it and putting in away and manually cleaning the parts it misses. The booster jet stirs up the fine sediment which only settles back later meaning another clean and so the cycle goes on.
Carefully manually cleaning removes more first pass, leaves less to re settle and saves the capital outlay. Got rid of went back to a small battery electric handheld for the odd leaf that missed the skimmers.

Now why is so much dirt in the bottom? Because the skimmer action either doesn't skim well or the pump is switched off so dirt sinks after becoming water logged. I run my setup 24/7 and the water is way better and barely any dirt in the pool. The drawback is you have to empty the skimmer baskets more often. By engineering my pool onto low energy using a variable speed pump it cost way less to run so I can afford to run 24/7, that's where I suggest you spend the money you'll waste on a Polaris and booster. That's what I did only selling the Polaris.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”