Filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x26 inground saltwater
Hayward filter and heater

Filter

Postby CapriKrissy » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 07:52

Hi. We are having an issue with pressure.
Currently our filter is clean. We have backwashed a few times. Cleaned out the filter. We opened the pool 2 weeks ago.
This week our water is cloudy. So we did as mentioned above.
We realized that the pressure on the filter rises. Which turns then bypasses the heater. Because if high pressure.
If we repeat the cleaning process we can get the pressure down but it only lasts about 20/30 minutes before the pressure goes up again.
Everything looks clean inside.
Help! I am using a new crew this year and they seem to think that one of the filter spindle things is damaged . I dint think so.
Our filter/heating system is 3 years old. [img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/1fe53704471dd86e2e8926dc0046ec39.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190604/46aa06f4b79e0aae0a6155951f476e29.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Filter

Postby Teapot » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 10:24

Cloudy pool needs a shock treatment, shocking is not a product it's a process where you raise the free chlorine level and hold this level until everything is oxidised out of the water. You have a DE filter so it has grids not spindle (laterals).
Yes it filters fine so clogs quicker but that is something you have to put up with until it's nice and clear water which it will be in time.
If one of the spindle things had broken it would cause DE to be dumped into the pool and a pressure drop not increase.
Your new pool crew are rubbish, will almost certainly cost you more money through their ignorance and should be got rid of immediately.
CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CapriKrissy » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 15:59

I understand what your saying. We are not decreasing pressure. We are Increasing pressure. So what would that mean?

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 16:50

It simply means the DE is doing it's job, it can strip out most things in the water down to around 3-5 microns so it collects dirt faster and this cause a rise in pressure. You have to backwash more frequently, replace the DE more frequently and gradually you will do this less and less as the water gets clearer and then all is well again.
When you get bored with DE because of cost, time and mess you may want to swap to a sand filter with Dr Drydens Activate glass media, that filters almost as fine as DE, finer if you correctly use flocculent and flow rates. But it's there for the life of your pool and never needs changing so saving a fortune and loads of time with far less mess. Not to mention health concerns using DE because of DE's high free silica content.
CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CapriKrissy » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 17:26

I dont think we are understanding one another.
Let me begin from the beginning.
This is year 4 of our pool.
Virtually easy going up till most recent opening. 2 weeks ago.
DE filter, salt water.
Since opening.... we have backwashed at least 15 times. Most of them on Saturday and Sunday of last weekend. That totals about 12 of the backwashed. We have added earth.
We have shocked the pool.
We have put clarifier in the pool.

We have never had this INCREASE in pressure on the dial before with DECREASE on the jets for flow into the pool.
Within 20 minutes of repeated cleaning of the filter, backwashing the needle on the pressure gauge goes up.
When this happens it bypasses the heater and then the heater shuts off.

I am not changing to sand.
Please just explain to me what the culprit of the pressure gauge INCREASE could be other than keep backwashing. The filter is squeaky clean. The salt cell is clean as well.
The earth has been added.

As of now, even though I have put the filter on CIRCULATION only, the water is actually clearing up. Not my biggest issue.

Just the pressure gauge that I've mentioned.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 17:35

Never use clarifier with DE, it clogges the DE and could be the cause of the pressure rise
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 17:45

CapriKrissy wrote:Please just explain to me what the culprit of the pressure gauge INCREASE could be other than keep backwashing. The filter is squeaky clean.

The increase is due to a restriction or blockage, the pump is trying to push the water around the circuit but is prevented from doing so with a result that the pressure goes up. Have you added too much DE?
Backwashing will not increase the pressure as it removes the DE causing less restriction.
The water is dirty/cloudy and DE clogs easier because it filters finer.
CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CapriKrissy » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 17:54

It is possible that we have added too much DE in the beginning of this issue.
We only added clarifier recently after this issue happened. (Pool store recommended that & it kinda made sense to me at the time)
Like added the day before yesturday..

What should I do?
Do I run the filter?
Do i keep running the filter if the pressure goes up? If so, for how long? Will I destroy the filter if I run it.

CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby CapriKrissy » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 17:56

The water does appear to be clearing up. As of now. I can actually see the bottom of the pool at this point.
We havent run the filter in 2 days. Just circulating the water.
Till we figure this thing out.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 04 Jun, 2019 23:10

That will be the oxidising power of the chlorine clearing the water as the filter is bypassed on circulate. Don't believe what pool shops tell you, they generally don't know much except how to make a sale. Selling a clarifyer clogs the DE and then you'll buy more DE. Even manufacturers don't tell the truth. I have worked in the industry for about 17 years, it's why I am here to help people straighten out problems but not being physically with you it isn't as easy sometimes.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Jun, 2019 04:01

If you give us your numbers we may be able to prove that it is your pool water that has something in it or otherwise
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”