No main drain valve

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
juvefc
I'm new here
I'm new here

No main drain valve

Postby juvefc » Fri 07 Jun, 2019 18:50

Hi all, need some help. We purchased an older home a few years ago and these homes always had their filters installed in the basement. Weird i know! Anyway, this year we decided to hire a company to put the filter outside and re-run all the piping. Today i went to start her up to drain the pool because we were going to paint yet i cannot for the life of me understand how they did this. Usually i will have a main drain valve and a skimmer valve which will draw water from the pool into the filter. Well there is not valve so there is no water running into the filter. I tried to run the filter for like 30 secs without any water and nothing. I stopped it because i know it could cause issues.

I've looked everywhere for a valve and see nothing. Could there be any other way of drawing water from the pool into the filter? I'll go take a pic soon.
Attachments
pool.jpg
pool.jpg (50.74 KiB) Viewed 513 times

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: No main drain valve

Postby Teapot » Sat 08 Jun, 2019 07:07

It is quite common for pool builders to connect the main drain to the second hole in the skimmer. Thus scuppering you from doing what you want.
I personally hate that idea and always run a separate pipe so I can control everything.
It's not weird to have plumbing and filter in the basement.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”