High pressure, low return

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Dragonlibrarian
I'm new here
I'm new here

High pressure, low return

Postby Dragonlibrarian » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 21:10

Relatively new pool owner. I've had 2 pool guys out here, and neither has been able to get more than a temporary fix. I've got a Pentair FNS Plus, it'll run normally for a couple hours and slowly the pressure will climb to 25psi, once it hits that the return water is down to a dribble.

The grids have been cleaned, the first guy replaced them thinking they might be damaged, but that hasn't helped. 2nd guy said the water wasn't filtering through the grids properly which was causing them to balloon out and causing the pressure, and that the first grids looked fine, so he put those back in.

1st guy suggested blowing out the lines, but he doesn't do that, 2nd guy does do that, but the 2 times he's come out the pressure was fine, so he doesn't think that's what needs to be done.

Slightly frustrated here, any thoughts and suggestions?

CapriKrissy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x26 inground saltwater
Hayward filter and heater

Re: High pressure, low return

Postby CapriKrissy » Sun 09 Jun, 2019 22:32

Ha. Same problem here.
Hi pressure low return.
Pool guy said it was damaged grid.
I couldn't wait for him to order it...so I did. 440 bucks. Well its still hasn't been picked up.
First, we backwashed several times.. didn't help. Cleaned filter a few times... didn't help.
A week later my husband took apart the entire thing. Cleaned out the cartridges.
And anything else he could find.

We now have great preasure!

One responder mentioned here that we must have a blockage somewhere. We must have, because everything has been flowing perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 00:01

Dragon librarian, you have a DE filter, these filter very fine particles from the water, finer than you can see. If your water is hazy that's a lot of particles to remove so the DE clogs, up goes the pressure. Also over filling with DE can cause similar issues.
When you get bored of the mess and the cost, change to a sand filter with Dr Dryden's Activate glass media, it never wears out so doesn't need changing, filters almost as well as DE and you can use flocculant in which case it can filter finer than DE.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 00:08

CapriKrissy
That's a bit of a thread hijack as you have a cartridge filter. Easier if you started your own thread, well easier for us answering.
However if your water isn't clear then the filters will try and remove anything it can from the water.
That causes the cartridges to clog and the pressure to rise. Take the filter apart and carefully clean the cartridges ( watch YouTube if you are not sure) cartridges gradually lose their effectiveness as they get older so you face the expense of replacement. If you ever use flocculant or clarifier you can ruin the filter cartridges permanently.
Same as above, when you get bored of the hassle change to a sand filter with Dr Dryden's Activate glass media.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 00:22

Why are there so many idiot pool service providers? Sack them before they cost more money. the filter system of a pool is so simple.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”