Great water pressure without cartridge, none with cartridge

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dschddny
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground with Hayward cartridge filter

Great water pressure without cartridge, none with cartridge

Postby dschddny » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 16:44

When I run my Hayward cartridge filter without the cartridge (either when I'm vacuuming or just as a test), the jets shoot out water VERY STRONG, water current flies around the pool. Then when I put the cartridge back in the filter, the water comes out of the jets as a small trickle! Any ideas? I'm sure I'm using the proper cartridge, proper size, and I make sure to clean the cartridge very thoroughly.

Thanks!!!!!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Great water pressure without cartridge, none with cartridge

Postby Teapot » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 17:11

Cartridges clog by around 10% even after they are cleaned, so eventually become useless.
dschddny
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dschddny » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 17:15

Teapot wrote:Cartridges clog by around 10% even after they are cleaned, so eventually become useless.

So what's the solution then, get a new cartridge after it gets clogged? The pool was super dirty as we hadn't opened it for a few years, so definitely a lot of junk has gone through the cartridge after using it for several days...
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 17 Jun, 2019 23:21

Yes that could well be what's needed.
Do you use multi action chlorine tabs? If so, some contain flocculant and clarifiers both of which can be bad for cartridge filters.
dschddny
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby dschddny » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 08:27

Teapot wrote:Yes that could well be what's needed.
Do you use multi action chlorine tabs? If so, some contain flocculant and clarifiers both of which can be bad for cartridge filters.

I do use chlorine tabs, don't know if they are "multi action". "bad for cartridge filters" meaning killing the cartridge rather quickly after just a week of use?

And btw, thanks!!!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 10:30

The thing about the pool industry is it won't tell you a product is bad for this or that as it prides itself on more sales.
The tabs usually brag about how many things they do like anti algae, flocculant and clarifiers.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”