Drain Cap for an unknown Top Mount Sand Filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 6m × 4m × 1.5m

Drain Cap for an unknown Top Mount Sand Filter

Postby Jackiboy » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 11:49

Hello, my name is Jack and I've had my pool for about 15-20 years now. It has undergone a lot of maintenance under the years. The current sand filter I have in place was bought around 5 years ago locally. It has worked fine for the past years, occasionally refilling it with sand and whatnot.

However last month when I planned to reopen the pool after winter, I noticed that the drain cap - located at the bottom of the sand filter container - had shattered completely. As far as I know I have no spare-parts and definitely no spare drain cap at home.

Thus, my problem: where do I find a spare drain cap? I have attempted some DIY fixing and I also visited the local pool shop and hardware stores. None of which had the right dimensions for the cap.

From my measurements (which aren't that precise) the diameter of the drain cap is approximately 1,95 inches (~50mm) and upon inspecting the sand filter I can't find any branding whatsoever aside from an instructions label (attached to this post).

I would very much appreciate any help in this matter, the optimal solution would be to find a cap with the exact dimensions or find an official replacement part from the manufactuer of the filter. However, any DIY solutions would also be appreciated. Note that the seal of the cap needs to be perfect in order to guarantee a leak-free filter.

Thank you in advance. Best regards, Jack.
Attachments
20190618_180525_resized.jpg

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Drain Cap for an unknown Top Mount Sand Filter

Postby Teapot » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 12:07

Hi Jack,
Any chance of another photo of the whole filter, I recognise label but just can't remember at the moment.
I think it may be an old Lacron filter.
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jackiboy » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 12:39

Here it is.
Attachments
20190618_193630_resized.jpg
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jackiboy » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 12:43

Edit: The drain cap is ~1.73 inches (44mm). Here's an image of it:
Attachments
20190618_194205_resized.jpg
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 14:38

Hmm, the multi port valve mount looks like a Davey filter, they were part lacron bobin wound filters. Can you measure the outside diameter of the male thread on the filter?
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jackiboy » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 08:16

When you say "male thread" do you mean the drain cap itself or the drain hole at the bottom of the filter itself? If you refer to the latter then the outside diameter is 44mm (~1.73 inches).
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 11:13

The cap has an internal thread (female) the part it screws onto is a male thread is the outside diameter of the thread 44mm?
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jackiboy » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 12:30

Yes, correct. The outside diameter of the male thread is 44mm.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 19 Jun, 2019 14:46

Ok that sounds like a 1 1/2" BSP, possibly NPT in America, you should be able to find a similar cap in a plumbers store at a fraction of the price of a pool store as a standard plumbing item.
Jackiboy
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Jackiboy » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 04:40

Alright, I would like to thank you Teapot for you expertise and help in this matter. It has truly been appreciated. By the time I saw your reply I had however found an alternate solution, and a rather good one at that.

I managed to find a so-called "expandable boat-plug," used to seal holes on boats. I took the inner diameter of the drain hole (35mm) and managed to find a plug with the exact diameter of that. From there I pushed the plug into the hole and then enganged the expandor on the plug.

This works as a perfect seal and I will continue to use it until - and if - it fails. Again, thank you Teapot for the expertise. Best regards, Jack.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 06:17

Hi jack, good you found a solution, check the chemical resistance of the rubber used with the manufacturer, Chlorine is quite good at Rotting out some, others like Fernco connectors are very chemical resistant.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:42

Jackiboy wrote:Alright, I would like to thank you Teapot for you expertise and help in this matter. It has truly been appreciated. By the time I saw your reply I had however found an alternate solution, and a rather good one at that.

I managed to find a so-called "expandable boat-plug," used to seal holes on boats. I took the inner diameter of the drain hole (35mm) and managed to find a plug with the exact diameter of that. From there I pushed the plug into the hole and then enganged the expandor on the plug.

This works as a perfect seal and I will continue to use it until - and if - it fails. Again, thank you Teapot for the expertise. Best regards, Jack.

I would be inclined to find the cap as those bungs aren't a permanent solution. Yes they work well but you don't know when they will let go and drain your pool and ruin your pump

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”