single speed pump to variable sizing question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
batman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallons,

single speed pump to variable sizing question

Postby batman » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:20

I have a 20,000 gallon, chlorine pool with a 2hp single speed Hayward pump AND a Pentair electrical heater (heat pump). I'm thinking of switching to a VARIABLE SPEED PUMP, to save on my electrical cost.

Converting would be an easy problem if I didn't have a heat pump but I'm confused as to which size pump to get to cover the increased load of the heat pump? Do I just switch from a 2hp single speed to a 2hp variable speed, which I don't think they make. Seems like my choices are 1.5hp or 3hp at least in Pentair brand.

Confused but I know zilch about pumps.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: single speed pump to variable sizing question

Postby Teapot » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 11:04

Size and spec of heat pump and filter and plumbing. Some details of number of skimmers, returns, main drains etc.
What makes you think your current setup is ideal/correct just because you have got used to it?
batman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20,000 gallons,

Postby batman » Wed 31 Jul, 2019 16:35

My current setup seems ideal/correct because for 4 years I've never had a problem. It was set-up/installed and sized by a reputable vendor. Not the best evidence but that's all I have.

8 return inlets (outlets?) or whatever you call the things warm water comes out of. Two main drains. An infinity edge. Sand filter. No skimmers. Heat pump is a ULTRATEMP but I can't tell from the manual what model it is. Will see if I can find that info tomorrow on the heat pump itself.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 01 Aug, 2019 01:10

Ok, sounds good, what diameter is the sand filter? Also the plumbing pipe?
Good news is heat pumps are usually very low on resistance to water flow but we should try to respect the manufacturer's flow rates.
8 inlets is good, how long do you normally run the pump for?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”