Air bubbles from jets, losing prime when main drain &/or skimmer valves open

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
pixelpoo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Air bubbles from jets, losing prime when main drain &/or skimmer valves open

Postby pixelpoo » Mon 19 Aug, 2019 13:04

Hi there,

Its my first post in the forum, first week learning about pools and have read most related posts here, so please excuse my ignorance :D

Pool:
100 squared meter, inground pool, with grout and tiles,
three suction tubes with a valve for each (main drain, skimmers (2joined), & side vacuum).

Problem:
The pump only fully primes (with almost no air bubbles in pump basket) when only the side vacuum valve is open, and both main drain and skimmer open) with bubbles and little pressure in return jets.

When skimmers are open too, more air appears in pump pre basket and more bubbles in return jets and alternating pressure from low, to lower. (also if i Put my hand over tube in skimmer, suction seems to stop completley before returning to low pressure a few seconds later, alternating between both states.

When main drain is open with side vacuum and with/without skimmers, the amount of bubbles is even more and the pump basket is empty, losing oprime completely.

I recently filled the pool after having the pool cleaned from immense algae and then the main drain area re-grouted.

Could this be a clog in maindrain &/or skimmer, Or should I empty pool fully and pressure test both drain and skimmers?

I hope it makes sense,

Kind regards

pixelpoo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Air bubbles from jets, losing prime when main drain &/or skimmer valves open

Postby pixelpoo » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 03:34

also, when only running side vacuum (full suction power), the return jets are still not flowing with high power like the used to, quite a few air bubbles
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Air bubbles from jets, losing prime when main drain &/or skimmer valves open

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 04:55

HI pixelpoo and welcome
What type of filter do you have? If it's possible to backwash do that first and check the return flow from the side vacuum (the filter may be clogged with algae) Then try the other lines one at a time
I suspect that you may have a suction side air leak (did you do anything to the pump)
pixelpoo
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby pixelpoo » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 06:03

Thank you for the quick reply

It is a Hayward Sand filter

I will attempt the backwash and check each line separately (or maybe with side and other)
if there is little to no difference , then would a pressure test be recommended to find the leak on suction side? or could there be something else.

Also, in order to do pressure test must the pool be empty? if so I must head out and get a submersible pump

kind regards
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 20 Aug, 2019 08:26

You could try turning your multiport valve (MPV) to Bypass (Recirculate) first to see if the filter is blocked
With a sand filter you should be able to backwash, don't forget to rinse after and before returning to filter (maintain the water height through out, 1/2 to 2/3 up the skimmer opening) make sure the skimmer weir door isn't jammed up
I would leave the vacuum line closed as you know it works OK and it will be the line of least resistance, check the returns flow as an indication that it is working
Generally a suction side air leak is normally around the pump inlet connections, pre filter lid "O" ring (silicone grease)
Lets see how you get on before going for a pressure test and it's not necessary to drain to test

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”