Pool pump rad dry, now bubbling, sealant in the water

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
MrSanders
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 10,000 gal

Pool pump rad dry, now bubbling, sealant in the water

Postby MrSanders » Fri 20 Mar, 2020 22:23

Dear People of Pool Help Forum,

I need your help, and I tried to look around the forum but couldn't find a thread about this exact situation (or I missed it, would you please provide me with a link to that thread? I found dry runs and bubbling, but not the two at the same time).

I just bought a brand new WhisperFlo 2hp pool pump replacement motor (genuine) two days ago because my old motor died. I installed it and it had been working in the past two days like a dream. But today, my wife took out the pool vacuum while the pump was running and it ran dry for about half an hour before I noticed.

The motor was maybe a little bit warm to the touch, I think normal, but I turned it off to let it cool down. I turned it on, and it runs making a normal noise, little bit warm, however:
1) it is bubbling at the returns. Not bubbling actually, but foaming. Sucking in air from somewhere.
2) I found pieces of a white silicon or rubber like substance (maybe a white O-ring, sealant, gasket or silicon caulk ?) floating on the top of the water. I am sure this is not normal.

I have a feeling the above two have to do something with the motor running dry. Do you guys have any ideas?

Please let me know!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool pump rad dry, now bubbling, sealant in the water

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 21 Mar, 2020 03:27

Air out of the returns is definately a suction side air leak
The only thing that comes to mind is the seal between the motor and pump got damaged while running dry or when you changed the motor (did you replace the seal)
Is there any visible water leakage from the pump, on or off
MrSanders
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MrSanders » Sat 21 Mar, 2020 15:13

Hello, thanks for the quick reply. To answer your questions:
yes, I did replace the whole seal plate, the impeller, the ceramic seals that go into the impeller and the other seal that goes inside the seal plate, and of course the seal around the seal plate
no, there are no visible leakage from the pump, filter or any of the valves

a little bit more info: we have four returns, only one bubbles (the one that's not the closest nor the furthest), but that bubbles intensely

can I run the pump for now or it is better not to force the motor for the time being?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 22 Mar, 2020 03:31

Air in the system will follow the highest point and line of least resistance. If you block up that return it will come out of others
You won't be forcing the pump at all by running it
Do you notice air collecting in the pump pre-filter
If this only happened after the motor change, then I suspect that the ceramic seal is damaged through running dry
MrSanders
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MrSanders » Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:17

thanks
a damaged ceramic seal sounds serious...
I will replace it as you said and hopefully that will take care of it
if it doesn't work I will come back with more questions!
thanks again
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:43

If it isn't to much of an issue leave it untill it start's to leak when not running
MrSanders
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MrSanders » Mon 23 Mar, 2020 15:38

Denniswiseman wrote:If it isn't to much of an issue leave it untill it start's to leak when not running

I had a pool guy come out and look at it, he swore it was the incoming line and not the motor (he took the motor out), he re-piped the incoming line (above the ground), still bubbling (albeit much better), said there is something cracked beneath the concrete. Honestly, I am not sure.

Just curious and trying to learn, why do you think we should leave it alone until it starts leaking when not running? Wouldn't the water enter the motor by then and kill the bearings? Maybe I am totally wrong since I have zero experience
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 24 Mar, 2020 02:32

Why would it only start when after the pump had run dry?
I had the bubbling (when vacuuming) and a leaking pump when I changed the seal both stopped
There is a hole in the motor side of the pump allowing water to come out
Most suction side air leaks are around the pump. Pump pre-filter bowl lid "O" ring.
MrSanders
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby MrSanders » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 23:50

Hi Denniswiseman,

I ordered a new ceramic seal set (only like $10), but haven't replaced it yet because I called the pool guy back (he came out four times now, but only charged me for the first time). He still says it's not the motor. Being annoyed with the bubbling, he turned the pump in a 45 angle from how it was (so, just added a 45) and re-piped the return line between the pump and the filter. Something interesting happened.

So, now if the suction is set to skimmer, there is no bubbling at all. The bowl fills up fully, you can't see a single bubble through the lid. And the motor is very quiet.
However, if I turn the valve to the vacuum line, there is bubbling. I can also see bubbles through the lid and the motor is louder somewhat. The bubbling is not bad, still noticeable.

I thought to myself, it must be the valve that switches between the skimmer and the vacuum. It's a Jandy never lube three-way. I took it apart, lubed the O-rings and put it back together. No change. Any ideas?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:49

So when the suction is on skimmer and filtering all is OK (this would be normal operation)
When set to vacuum it bubbles. Then it's pulling in air from the vacuum line
When vacuuming it puts an extra load on the pump and can find the smallest of leaks
I would be inclined to leave it

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”