Pump will run on everything but filter

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ahandley2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k gallon in ground vinyl liner pool with a sand filter

Pump will run on everything but filter

Postby ahandley2 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 01:29

Hi!

I'm at my last resort. The past 2 years we have tried and tried to get our pool up and running and out of complete frustration we've given up each year. It seems something always comes along and we have 2 small children and when another problem hits we just give up. This year we are determined to get it running because we bought a salt water system and want to convert.

HOWEVER.

The last problem we had last year before closing it up was that everything would work just as it should (backwash, waste, recirculate) EXCEPT for the filter setting. It would not keep a prime. It would run for about 15 to 30 minutes, then we would hear a loud buzzing and the prime had been lost. (Air in the pump).

Here's what we've tried:

We replaced all the sand in the filter. Checked every lateral, all were in tact. We've replaced the O ring on the pump lid. (Sorry if my terminology isn't correct I'm really not sure of all the part names) We've checked for blockages in the lines. We've checked for leaks and found one tiny crack inside the skimmer. Could this be causing the pump to lose prime on filter setting?

It will run perfectly normal and not lose prime while backwashing, rinsing, or recirculating so we initially thought the issue was the sand filter since all those settings bypass the filter.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ash

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump will run on everything but filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 04:04

Have you checked the spider gasket in the MPV (multi port valve)
If some one had stripped it down and not put it back correctly in the same position then you would have problems
Is there a similar one near by which you can photograph and check with yours
You say for two years, did it work OK previously
ahandley2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k gallon in ground vinyl liner pool with a sand filter

Re: RE: Re: Pump will run on everything but filter

Postby ahandley2 » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 06:52

Denniswiseman wrote:Have you checked the spider gasket in the MPV (multi port valve)
If some one had stripped it down and not put it back correctly in the same position then you would have problems
Is there a similar one near by which you can photograph and check with yours
You say for two years, did it work OK previously

I have not checked the spider gasket but some of my research led me to believe we should. So we will try that as well. We have lived in this house for 7 years and enjoyed the pool with no issues up until 2 years ago. We had a tragic accident happen in the pool with our dog so we chose not to open it back in summer 2017. When we tried in summer 2018, we ran into the filter problem. We actually burnt out a pump in the process of all this.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump will run on everything but filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 07:46

If the MPV hasn't been dismantled previously and it worked OK then I suspect a fault in the MPV
Get a new spider gasket and take an image of the position of the different positions as it's possible to put it back wrong
It may be prudent to fence the pool to prevent any other tragic incidents

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”