How do I drain pool?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Lockhouse
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: A little indoor pool 16 feet x 10 feet.

How do I drain pool?

Postby Lockhouse » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 08:16

Hi,

Please bear with me, I'm just starting a pool refurb but my knowledge is limited. I'm trying to drain my pool. It's been drained before but it was done by "the pool guy".

I've drained the water down to the bottom of the skimmer using the pump but I'm stuck now. There's a square plug at the bottom of the pool - is this the drain plug?

If it is the drain plug, is there a tool I need to undo it? None of my sockets on extension levers fit. If it's not the drain plug, how do I get the pool drained, do I use an external pump?

Thanks for listening!

Andy

Lockhouse
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: How do I drain pool?

Postby Lockhouse » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 11:48

OK, I've got the plug off and it doesn't appear to be a drain plug - it's blocked off underneath.

I managed to get the pool half empty by turning off the skimmer valve forcing everything through the sump, opening the outside waste valve and setting the pump to "Waste". However this got slower and slower until the pump was sucking air. I'm left with a half full pool which is in some ways more frustrating then not getting it to drain at all! Any idea if the sump is likely blocked or may there be another reason the pool has stopped draining halfway through?

I should add the pool is nearly 50 years old(!) and we've not had any issues with it at all in the nearly ten years we've been living here - it is just looking really tired and needs a refresh.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 13:42

That plug maybe a hydrostatic relief valve designed to allow ground water into the pool when draining to prevent the pool lifting out if the ground water is high
Most people either pump out from the main drain or use a submersible but check your water table first
Lockhouse
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lockhouse » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 15:47

Thanks for the reply. It's an in-ground concrete indoor pool and there's no visible main drain - only via the pump which is higher than the water level. I'm just not sure why the pump should suddenly run dry when the pool is only half empty. If I can't sort it I'll have to buy a submersible.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 16:48

If you have no main drain then the suction is from the skimmer. If a vacuum is connected to the skimmer it will draw water further but if the skimmer plate leaks in air you will lose suction
Lockhouse
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lockhouse » Sun 29 Mar, 2020 17:11

I've actually got a plug on the skimmer to attach a vacuum hose, so in theory that should work. Thanks very much, I'll let you know how I get on.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 02:39

Make sure your vacuum hose is full of water, the pipe to the pump is full and the pump is primed
Lockhouse
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Lockhouse » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 06:50

Well, I tried it but no luck. For some reason there's no suction either at the vacuum point (very slight suction) or the skimmer (none). The pump appears to be working OK, there's just nothing being sucked through. Looks like I'll have to go with a submersible pump after all.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 30 Mar, 2020 16:47

It would have worked if you had done it while the pool was full
Most people use a submersible any way

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”