Vacuum and return same line?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jmaplewood
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Vinyl liner inground 15000 gal

Vacuum and return same line?

Postby jmaplewood » Thu 16 Apr, 2020 16:18

Hi all,

I am installing a heater and relocating the pump, filter, etc. 16x32x3-6' deep pool. When I bought the house there was a pipe sticking out of the ground between the supply and return lines that was capped. There is also a return port in pool that has the vinyl liner uncut and covering the port with the escutcheon installed. On the return side I have the skimmer and drain lines, and there were two return lines, both with 3 way valves, and also the third line that wasn't connected to anything. I have pressure tested the closed extra line, and it has held 6psi for over a day now (I could see the liner pushing out from the return port so I didn't want to put too much pressure into it).

My question is this: can I plumb this line as both a return and vaccuum line?. I was thinking of installing a 2 way valve after the three way valve on the return side to regulate it as a return and isolate it when it would be a vacuum line, and use another 3 way valve off of the return side so I could regulate between the vac line and skimmer when used as a vaccuum line and also to isolate it when it would be used as a return?

I could try to attach some pics if that would help clarify.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”