Pump check valve positioning

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Gecko
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Underground concrete pool. 20×40×7 ft. Uses Astral 1.5 kw pump and filter.

Pump check valve positioning

Postby Gecko » Fri 01 May, 2020 16:51

Hello everyone.
I built my own pool. But i have one serious problem. I don't know where to locate the check valve to help prime the pump. Although the pump was advertised as self priming, i found out after installing it that it only does so up to 2 meters which is about 6ft 4in. However, the pump and filter are located 8ft higher than and about 50 feet from the maindrain and skimmer. Everything i have read says to install a check valve 15in from the pump. I need to know how the pump is going to deal with all that length of pipe full of air after the check valve and all the way down to the pool bottom. Maybe i am over thinking this, but priming a water pump means to remove air trapped in the pipe between the pump and the actual water to be pumped. Can experienced person on this forum explain how this priming thing works, please. I cant install a one-way /check valve at or near the main drain without digging up concrete.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump check valve positioning

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 02 May, 2020 01:45

Install the check valve (NRV) on the suction side of the pump
Remove the pump basket lid and fill with water
Re fit pump basket lid
Start the pump
If it doesn't prime. Repeat
The water you have primed the pump with will start the lift, reducing it each time
Once the pump is primed with the NRV in place you shouldn't have any problems

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”