O-ring for an old Hayward DE tank

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
chubun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small size inground pool. DE filter.

O-ring for an old Hayward DE tank

Postby chubun » Fri 08 May, 2020 13:50

We need to find a replacement o-ring for an old Hayward DE tank. The old o-ring keeps on expanding over the year. Last time when we opened up the tank, the ring was probably 2, 3 inches longer than it should be. We could not squeeze it to fit and have to cut off the excess and kind of glue/tie the ends together and stuff it back in place. There has been no leak so far, but we are probably not that lucky the next time we open up the tank.
We ordered a replacement online. The new ring has the right size. However, its cross section is round, and our current oring has a square cross section. Anybody knows if this oring will work? If not where we may find an oring with a square cross section? We checked the local pool shops, but only find rings with round cross section.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: O-ring for an old Hayward DE tank

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 May, 2020 06:06

Most "O" rings are round, I suspect that that the spec has been changed over time
Give it a try
chubun
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Small size inground pool. DE filter.

Re: O-ring for an old Hayward DE tank

Postby chubun » Wed 13 May, 2020 22:20

We will have some works done on our pool soon. I'll wait until the job finishes before trying the new o-ring. Thanks.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”