High filter pressure (34 PSI) when on pool return, low filter pressure on cleaner.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
smithy4520
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool with vinyl liner; 4 ft. and 9ft depts. 3 return jets, 3 spa jets, 1 cleaner port for vacuum robot attachment. Jendy cartridge filter system. Water from pool return goes through heater before going back into pool.

High filter pressure (34 PSI) when on pool return, low filter pressure on cleaner.

Postby smithy4520 » Wed 03 Jun, 2020 18:21

We just opened our pool. Put the pumps and filter in, chemicals to kill algae. Then, when we turned everything on we noticed that the pool return jets were very weak (still are). So we cleaned the filter multiple times, inspected the cartridges and everything seems fine. O rings, seals around pipes are good, pool water level stays consistent.

The pressure in the filter immediately gets really high when on pool return but, drops to a reasonable pressure when on cleaner (the water has a nice strong flow when coming from the cleaner). We tried snaking the pool return pipes but, it didn't get far. However, after snaking, we found a small rock stuck in one of the pool return jets. I'm certain my filter is in good condition and clean, and am now thinking that there may be a small pile of rocks stuck in the pool return pipe causing a restriction which would cause the pressure to increase in the filter and decrease the flow from the jets. But, it's only a suspicion.

Has anyone else ever had this issue? Rocks in pool return pipes? High filter pressure when on pool return but not when on cleaner?

Thank you for reading my post. Any help, thoughts, or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thank you fellow pool owners.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: High filter pressure (34 PSI) when on pool return, low filter pressure on cleaner.

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 04 Jun, 2020 01:25

Do you have a MPV if so put it to recirculate to bypass the filter. If pressure OK then it's the filter doing it's job, keep cleaning it
It's virtually impossible to get anything in the pool returns without them leaking
smithy4520
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool with vinyl liner; 4 ft. and 9ft depts. 3 return jets, 3 spa jets, 1 cleaner port for vacuum robot attachment. Jendy cartridge filter system. Water from pool return goes through heater before going back into pool.

Re: High filter pressure (34 PSI) when on pool return, low filter pressure on cleaner.

Postby smithy4520 » Fri 05 Jun, 2020 23:15

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I'll try that tomorrow morning!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”