Pool Plumbing return question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TK85
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x28 in ground vinyl pool. Pentair intelliflow pump, chlorine generator, DE filter and gas heater.

Pool Plumbing return question

Postby TK85 » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 11:13

We recently purchased a home with a saltwater pool, and I have been slowly figuring out pool maintenance 101. Everything on the pool seems to be running OK, however I have a question about the returns.

In my picture I am unclear the difference between return "A" and "B" or what valve "A" does. My pool is a 14x28 vinyl inground pool with two skimmers, two return jets, and what I think is a main drain in the middle of the deep end. In testing, I have partially closed valve "A" and found the jets increase in output and the pressure will rise. From this test, I think return "A" is for the jets, but what would return "B" be feeding? Additionally, I have no selection on my water inlet for choosing between skimmers or the main drain.

My final question and slight problem. When running the pump at anything but high speed, a DE cloud appears from my main drain. The slower the pump, the larger the cloud.

Any ideas on what return "B" is and why DE is coming from my main drain when the pump is at lower speeds?

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool Plumbing return question

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 13:13

The return B is open have you tried closing it and see what happens
Closing down valve A would increase pressure in the filter but not increse flow to the return jets unless A and B are individual return jets
I've no idea on the DE problem as slower filtration puts less stress on your filtration and is better. Coming out of the main drain is odd as it's always in suction mode
TK85
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14x28 in ground vinyl pool. Pentair intelliflow pump, chlorine generator, DE filter and gas heater.

Postby TK85 » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 13:39

So return B is a return and active. I just closed valve A and the flow to both jets was greatly increased. Is it possible return B is a bypass back to the inlet underground? It also is a different size pipe, smaller that return A and the waterfall return.
TK85
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby TK85 » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 13:50

I closed valve A as a test. Both jets greatly increased in output with a slight pressure increase in the filter. So return B is returning water somewhere, but where is the question.

Is it possible this is a bypass and return B is connected to the inlet under ground? Also return B is a different size pipe, smaller than the waterfall return and return A.
TK85
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby TK85 » Wed 10 Jun, 2020 14:13

I figured out what return B is. My pool is equipped with a heater and 3 returns. Two returns from pipe A are the jets, pipe B is a bottom return to properly disperse the hot water. There is no main drain on this pool. My only suction point is the skimmers.

Thanks for the help!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 11 Jun, 2020 01:52

Glad you figured it out. It sometimes takes a bit of fiddling around to understand

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”