Why is my water pressure diminishing?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Tom729
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: small 10 x 15 subterranean pool. About 5200 gallons. Currently using a swimline 71206 pump.

Why is my water pressure diminishing?

Postby Tom729 » Sat 20 Jun, 2020 18:09

Hi. I have a 10 X 15 semi above ground pool that contains about 5200-5500 gallons. Small pool only about 4 1/2 feet deep. I have had this problem in the past, and I would like to know why this keeps happening. Several weeks ago I hooked up my pump and filter. I bought new sand for the summer, opened up my pool and pump worked great for the past few weeks. Pressure was very strong and everything seemed to be working. However there was a leak in that pump so the manufacturer sent me a brand new one in the mail that I just reconnected to the pool and sand filter 2 days ago. The pump that I am using for my pool is a Swimline Hydrotools 71206.

When I reconnected it, water pressure was solid and everything was great. Today I noticed that the water pressure is much lower than before. It still appears to operating efficiently, but I am wondering why this has been happening. Same exact scenario last year. Worked great for the first few weeks and then this keeps on reoccurring. Yes, I backwash once a week and made sure to check all the hoses and attachments for leaks/clogs. Currently the pool is very clean, and it is highly unlikely that there would be a clog or blockage in the hoses anyway.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem that I keep on having. ?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Why is my water pressure diminishing?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 03:04

It seems that your filter is probably dirty, does it improve after a backwash
Or you have a suction side air leak, does the pump basket collect air
Let's have your numbers
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:
Tom729
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: small 10 x 15 subterranean pool. About 5200 gallons. Currently using a swimline 71206 pump.

Postby Tom729 » Sun 21 Jun, 2020 07:41

Question: How do I include pictures? I took a few of my pool and pump and I am not seeing a way to attach them.

1. I am not sure if I am backwashing the right way. I am disconnecting the hose to the pool that attaches to the filter where the clean water is discharged back into the pool. I am plugging the hole in the pool up and I am pointing the disconnected hose to the ground when doing the backwash. Is this the correct way to backwash? I wish that I could attach pictures so that I could describe it better.

2. Where can I locate the pump basket?

This is the pump/filter (the one on the right) that I am using btw.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... HoverTitle
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:36

Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
Most MPV's have a backwash / waste setting on them (look on yours) you shouldn't have to change hoses
When backwashing the water flow through the filter is reversed to clear out all the debris
Your pump doesn't have a basket

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”