Loud Intex pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
GreenEnvy22
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 14 foot intex above ground.

Loud Intex pump

Postby GreenEnvy22 » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 15:52

Hi all,
I have a 16' above ground intex pool. Has the sand filter and a pump that pulls about 200W (model SF90110T).
I have no idea how old it is, we bought the pool used about 3 years ago. It's been working fine.

Last week I shocked the pool (to about 8ppm), and a day or two later, noticed the pump was much louder. I don't know if it was coincidence or not.
The motor used to just make a whooshing sound, but now it's making a loud buzzing. It's still pumping at what looks like the same rate, PSI still the same as always.

I took it all apart, didn't find anything in the impeller. Spinning it by hand, it wasn't hard to spin, but it also didn't free spin at all. I did notice I could see the impeller was slightly out-of-center. It was barely noticeable, but you can definitely see it.

The impeller on this model is a round disc, with some internal veins (rather than the sprocket style).

I didn't know if I could just pop the impeller off the shaft by pulling on it, or if I would wreck it, so I just put it all back together, and it's still making the buzzing.

Anything else I can do/check? or just run it until it dies?

Here is a video of the sound.

https://youtu.be/rl_MROTAXLo

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Loud Intex pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 09 Jul, 2020 16:50

Probably a bearing going on the motor
To remove the impellor you need to expose the shaft opposite end to the impellor
Use a spanner to hold the shaft and twist the impellor off
Sometimes you can get replacement motors

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”