Pool pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dmfan71
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 88,000 liters

Pool pump

Postby dmfan71 » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 09:36

Hi,
Our pump is 9+ years old. We moved in 9 agos and haven't changed it since so I cannot tell you the exact age.

Lately the pad that the pump is on is a bit wet but I cannot tell where the water is coming from because its also a bit wet under the filter and heater. I think its from the pump and is just spreading but I am not sure. The pump does not always prime. I can get it to work sometimes. I have tried backwash, waste, rinse and filter...like I said, sometimes it just goes, other times there doesn't seem to be enough water in the basket. I've tried filling it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've had someone out to look at it and they put something around the O ring. Of course it primed right away when he was here...lol.

Is it a suction leak or do I just get a new pump? Could it possibly be another deeper issue? What are some signs the pump is on its way to dying?

thank you!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 27 Jul, 2020 17:24

Silicon grease round the pump basket "O" ring
A non return valve on the pump inlet will keep the pump primed
The leak is possibly a seal in the pump failing
If you can get a new one there are plenty of YouTube videos
Try Inyopools.com

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”