Floating skimmer for in-ground pool?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
wallacebmann
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallon, in-ground, ancient and leaky, newish pentair pump and cartridge filter, separate sweeper push-pump.

Floating skimmer for in-ground pool?

Postby wallacebmann » Sun 23 Aug, 2020 15:39

This is a very specific situation. I have an old, leaky, in-ground pool which really needs a complete refurbish and replump, but I want to wait a few years before a major update until my kids are older (so they trash the old stuff, not the new stuff).

I've been chasing leaks for a year now. The leak detection people gave up. I've replaced the sweeper and water return lines with "temporary" above-ground PVC pipes. The last suspect is the skimmer. I have an in-wall skimmer connecting to a Pentair Intelliflo pump and Pentair cartridge filter. I'd like to avoid the cost of rebuilding and re-plumbing the in-wall skimmer until it's time to redo everything. So ...

I was thinking of running another above ground line from the skimmer suction pump to a "temporary" floating skimmer. I was looking at the Gator Auto-Skim or the Intex Deluxe Wall Mount Skimmer. The Auto-Skim is designed for suction sweeper lines and the Intex Wall Mount is designed for above-ground pools, but both look as if they might work. I can handle the plumping and custom mounting, but am less sure about whether the skimmers would work for my situation.

My question is ... does this seem like it would work? Any other product suggestions?

Thanks,
Wallace

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”