DE Filter without Multiport Valve Pentair Easy Clean

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

DE Filter without Multiport Valve Pentair Easy Clean

Postby Mike_Snoo » Tue 08 Sep, 2020 20:57

Hi,

I want to optimize the flow in my pluming and found a filter which I think can be operated without any multiport Valves.
https://www.pentair.com/en/products/poo ... fiter.html

Am I right that this is the most efficient way to use a DE filter ? I understand that the cleaning will be a little bit more work, since no back wash, rinse,... is available. Am I thinking right, that as bigger the filter area as better for the flow/pressure loss?

Mike

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: DE Filter without Multiport Valve Pentair Easy Clean

Postby Teapot » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 01:43

Hi Mike, I should just say I am not a fan of DE. It's expensive, messy to work with and the high free silica content is a worry for me. You can't use flocculent either.

For me and my customers it has to be Dryden Aqua AFM, known as Activate in the US I believe. You only need to buy it once as it's self sterilising, so bacteria will not grow and colonise it. Similar levels of filtration and with flocculent even higher than DE. Fits into standard sand filters.

Didn't answer your question though which it would give a larger surface area and lack of multiport will remove the huge flow restriction they impose.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 05:06

Very interesting. I'm converting my pool from chlorine to an uv ozone pool. I want the water crystal clear and thought the DE had the best filtration.

What kind of filter (if possible brand and model) would you recommend for a 11500 gallon pool? Achieving good filtration and flow.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 07:58

Hi Mike, if I may suggest, take a look at advanced photocatalytic oxidation. AOP this takes things to a new level, it is the route I am going on my refit.
https://www.elecro.co.uk/products/aquat ... s/quantum/
Or
http://sugar-valley.net/en/productos/oxilife/
They produce hydroxyl radicals which are more powerful than ozone.
Take a look at the Dryden Aqua website for information. But dont give up on chlorine, its a long lasting primary sanitiser. I have used as little as 0.2ppm of chlorine on my outdoor pool for several years with great success. Removing as much from the water via filtration is the most important as is 24 hour running it took my pool to a new level.
I'll get back to you about filter later
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 08:01

Thanks Teapot! I bought already the DEL AOP 25. Dang!! I found this forum way to late!! But lesson learned, that is the reason why I am asking about the filter.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 11:21

Hi Mike, no worries I have spent many many days, weeks and air miles travelling and fitting so just offering what i consider to be the absolute best, just under that is fine, I am just pushing the boundaries. My pool water is really really good already with 24h filtration, slower flow for better filtration and energy saving and using AFM and chlorine so I am not sure how much better it will become but AOP can breakdown oils, sweat, and creams which chlorine cant really deal with. I have a turbidity tester and i am not far off tap water for clarity. There is no little dust cloud to kick up off the floor of the pool unlike so many pools I have worked on.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 11:41

The filter I recommend is the taller sand filter like the Kripsol range. This allows the media bed to expand and dirt to be released better without pushing the valuable filter media out. Other than that I have used the cheapest blow moulded filters up to the expensive bobin wound versions and unless the underdrain latterals are substantially better there is very little difference. As said previously the filters do not backwash that well and that is partly because some have only 1 1/2" fittings which will not allow enough flow to clean the media properly so larger plumbing is best.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 11:58

And I appreciate that you share your experience with the rest of the community. I don´t need to make anymore bad experiences and unfortunatley in my area, I have not found someone to trust when it comes to working on the pool. That is the reason I currently spend more time working on the pool than enjoying it.

I will stay for the moment with the current filter I have. Just replaced some filter elements and put new DE pouder in.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”