Can main pump also run DIY coil heater?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Brody
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 15' x 42" above ground prism frame. About 4k gallons. 1000 gph intex pump.

Can main pump also run DIY coil heater?

Postby Brody » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 10:25

Can my primary pool pump also run the DIY coil heater I'm looking to build?

I have 15' x 42" intex above-ground prism frame with 1000 gph pump. Uses 1 1/2 inch hoses and clamps. I see online people building coil heaters with 200 feet of 1/2" irrigation hose, coiled inside 4 x 4 wooden box (some with plexiglass cover). Coil will sit at pool top height, not be elevated.

Assuming I can find adapter from 1 1/2" to 1/2", can I redirect the outflow from the pump to the coil and then into the pool return? Or will the change in diameter cut the flow to almost nothing? Destroy the pump? Cause armageddon?

If I have to buy separate pump, what's my best affordable option? I don't want power cord in pool.

Thanks!!

Seth ("Brody")

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Can main pump also run DIY coil heater?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 24 Oct, 2020 16:13

I would suggest that you don't just reduce down to 1/2" but make 9 coils and connect in parallel so that you have the full flow through
The 1.5" pipe would have 9 No. 0.5" connections to the coils and the exact same for the returns

If you were to increase the hose size to 0.75 then you would need only 4 coils which would be the better option because of the less resistance
Brody
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 15' x 42" above ground prism frame. About 4k gallons. 1000 gph intex pump.

Re: Can main pump also run DIY coil heater?

Postby Brody » Wed 28 Oct, 2020 18:33

Thanks Dennis.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”