Bonding Issue

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
chunkypress
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16'x32' Hayward Inground

Bonding Issue

Postby chunkypress » Wed 21 Apr, 2021 12:47

Hi all.

I recently purchased a home that has an older inground 16x32 vinyl liner pool. It initially had a buried junction box powering the motor that had been shorting out the pump, so we convinced the seller to have it pulled up and have a dedicated line ran from the breaker for the pool equipment. This has been done, but now that we need the permit for the electric work to be closed the inspector needs the motor to be bonded.

We do not know if the pool was built with bonding and the electrician that just set up the dedicated line for the power said he dug around the equipment and could not find a bonding wire. We have requested any plans regarding the installation of the pool from the city to check if it has a bonding grid or not, but do not have them yet. We also purchased a metal detector to search for it, which is on its way.

The question I have is regarding what the inspector told me. He said that in order to forgo bonding the pool/motor, we could purchase a double insulated pump. Now, I am no electrician but from what I've been reading this means the housing, not just the cord.

I have spoken directly with PentAir, DoughBoy, and Hayward, who all tell me that specific pumps of theirs are thermal insulated, with GFIC double insulated cords, but not double insulated housing. Could someone explain to me if simply the cord is what the inspector means? Or if there are double insulated housing, 1 hp motors out there point me in that direction?

Sorry so long winded, just wanted to give lots of info. Thanks in advance.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”