Pump Leak

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Riley1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27K 18X36 Vinyl IG
Sand Filter/Chlorine
Active 30i robot
Taylor K2006 Test Kit

Pump Leak

Postby Riley1 » Sat 22 May, 2021 18:49

Would you guys take a look at this video and give me some ideas on what my problem might be? When I opened the pool a week ago no problems. Yesterday I noticed the leak and replaced the big o-ring. It still leaking from the same spot. It is very difficult but I have managed to get it to prime. The pump has been rebuilt a couple times (by me). The equipment is 30 years old. Of course this happens just as we're planning to take off for a few days.

https://youtu.be/a_MvN2UPI9k

Thanks,
Rick

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pump Leak

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 23 May, 2021 02:41

That's a big leak, I would say the ceramic seal between the motor and the impellor has dramaticly failed
Dose up the pool with chlorine and repair it again after your break
You'll have to take it out to see exactly what the problem is
Riley1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 27K 18X36 Vinyl IG
Sand Filter/Chlorine
Active 30i robot
Taylor K2006 Test Kit

Re: Pump Leak

Postby Riley1 » Sun 23 May, 2021 12:43

Thanks for the reply, I got it fixed, yes it was the shaft seal. The spring broke and side loaded the rubber seal. I had one and it's fixed. I learned an important lesson though (LOL). When you make a temporary fix meaning to go back and fix it later, DO IT! When I went through the pump the last time I misplaced one of the five diffuser screws. I put in a steel screw meaning to go back and replace it, I didn't. That thing was corroded, it crumbled and broke off. The diffuser is now held on with four screws which I don't really see as a problem for the time being. There were some other worn parts in there so I'm going to get a few things and then I'll take care of the screw problem.

Thanks,
Rick
https://www.imagecoast.com/images/Riley1/seal.jpg

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”