Multi valve Orientation

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
vapoole
I'm new here
I'm new here

Multi valve Orientation

Postby vapoole » Wed 26 May, 2021 12:08

I was recently gifted a new sand filter my daughter had purchased thinking she was going to put a pool in at her house but decided against it. I had been using a sand filter for many years and thought why not replace my old one with this one even though my old one was working. So, I switched out the filter no big deal. Once hooked up I noticed leakage out of the backwash hose when there should have not been any. After reading online I thought ok the seal in the multi valve is out of place. I removed the top of the multi value and checked the seal and O ring. The inside was clean since it was new but I wiped it out anyway. I replaced the multi valve and started the pump. All seems fine, no water leak. Now to the problem, I think. I had some algae in the pool that I treated with an algaecide and then vacuumed out. I have let the pump run for about 5 hours straight to clear the water but not getting better, still a hazy color. I have backwashed the filter several times in this period of time trying to keep the filter clean. I have noticed when backwashing the water coming out has no discoloration that I would expect from previous years of getting algae out of the pool. It's almost like the water is NOT being passed thru the filter. Question when I put the multi valve back on is there a certain way it needs to be placed? I didn't pay attention as to it's orientation on top of the filter so not sure I put it back on correctly. Afraid I put it on in such a manner as to when I set the valve to filter I am really just recirculating the water. Is this possible? The filter is a Blue Devil Sand filter. Guessing the valve is the generic multi valve.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Multi valve Orientation

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 26 May, 2021 16:43

Yes it needs to be replaced the same way as it came off. You should have taken an image before removing it
Try and get an image of the same MPV or similar
vapoole
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Multi valve Orientation

Postby vapoole » Thu 27 May, 2021 06:22

Thank you for the info. Was thinking that might be the problem.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”