Advice on improving my pump and filter system

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
JackNBox
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25000 Gal inground 1HP pump Hayward Filter Cartridge C900

Advice on improving my pump and filter system

Postby JackNBox » Sat 05 Jun, 2021 12:36

I would like to upgrade my pump / filter system. My issue is how time consuming priming, cleaning filters, and skimmers. I have beutiful trees in my back yard which are part of the issue. My current setup is as follows. My pool is 20x40 25000 gallon in ground. I have one intake skimmer, and one intake in the deep end. It is all plumbed with a 1 1/2 inch pvc.
Hayward super pump C48K2N143B1 1HP
Hayward star clear plus C900 Cartridge filter which uses PA90 filters

I feel my system is undersized or just poorly engineered and more than half of my maintenance time is spent not on actually cleaning the pool but fighting to get the pool primed, cleaning filters and skimmer baskets. I think if the system was engineered so I could flip a splitter and send the water to a different filter and skimmer basket on the fly so I do not have to constantly reprime and get pressure up. Or if I could just attach a water line and have the system have an automatic air release. Actually the pump I have says it is self priming but it is not even close. Every time I clean the skimmer I spend 10-15 minutes just getting it to prime and get pressure.

I am looking for advice on how big of a pump should I have?
What would be an adequate or more robust filter system?
Would a configuration similar to below where there are multiple skimmer baskets and filters be possible of feasible?

======= Skimmer Basket 1 ========= Cartridge Filter 1
From Pool =====< >==== Pump ===< > To Pool
======= Skimmer Basket 2 ========= Cartridge Filter 2
splitter splitter

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”