Triton 2 Sand Filter turns off, all of the water dumps back into the pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
JShope
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12000 Gal, Pebble Finish, Hayward Pump, Pentair Triton 2 Sand Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Cleaner

Triton 2 Sand Filter turns off, all of the water dumps back into the pool

Postby JShope » Sat 10 Jul, 2021 21:46

I don't have a backflow preventer on the filter pump line, but I've never had this problem before. As soon as the pump turns off, all of the water in the filter runs backward through the pump and into the pool. It is so quick and forceful that it will flip the skimmer basket over and force a lot of water onto the deck.

I have not replaced the backwash valves in the 12 years I have been using them, but it is not a matter of running down the wrong pipes. I also don't have any problems running the filter so I don't suspect the laterals.

Does the Pentair Triton ii have any built in backflow preventer, or should I just fix the symptom and add one?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Triton 2 Sand Filter turns off, all of the water dumps back into the pool

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 08:12

I had the same problem, it was a build up of air in the filter which compresses (air compresses and water doesn't) and forces the water back under pressure. My skimmer lid blew off as well
If it doesn't cure a non return valve will prevent further problems
dr_harika
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 45,000L Pool+Spa
Solar Roof Heated, Salt Chlorinated.

Postby dr_harika » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 09:21

How did you solve the issue Denniswiseman? How did you get the air our of the filter (assuming it is a sand filter?). I too have this issue.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 09:38

It cleared up by itself after a long period running
Some filters have an air release valve to let air out
I do believe there is a small pipe inside the filter which vents into the returns to expel the air
A suction side air leak could cause air to be introduced into the system, does air come out of the returns?
JShope
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 12000 Gal, Pebble Finish, Hayward Pump, Pentair Triton 2 Sand Filter, Hayward Pool Vac Cleaner

Postby JShope » Sun 11 Jul, 2021 10:01

I have noticed that the new lid and seal for my pump still leaks air and water. It makes a lot of sense that it pressurizes in the filter. The filter does have an air release valve (manual operation) and a special tube and filter that is designed to pull air out of the system. It might be building up faster than the little tube can handle.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 12 Jul, 2021 01:25

Very likely
Have you smeared silicon grease on the new "O" ring as that is the most obvious unless you have a suction side air leak
JShope
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JShope » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 00:30

I greased up the o-ring and even the threads of the pump, and it looks airtight. I'm afraid I might have a broken pipe. The ground is wet around the pump, which I assumed was from the leaky lid. But, it's not leaking now.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 14 Jul, 2021 02:18

It maybe the pump shaft ceramic seal in the pump
There is a small hole in the bottom of the pump that lets water drain out
There are plenty of YouTube videos to follow

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”