Unicel C-8417 is blocking flow

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
barryiwhite
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25,000 gallon pool with Hayward salt system, Haywards Star Clear Plus filter and 1.5 HP Everbilt pump

Unicel C-8417 is blocking flow

Postby barryiwhite » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 09:18

Hi all! I used to look after my pool myself but hired a pool company as I was spending a lot of time away from the property. We had to let them go after too many issues with pool going green etc. I am now at the property trying to get everything back in good working order again.

There were leaks in the pipework before and after the pump so I replaced all of that (like for like) and bought a new pump as it was getting pretty old. Everything circulates fine when I remove the cartridge filter but not when the cartridge is installed. The old pool company recently replaced the cartridge and it does look very new/clean. I also checked and it is apparently compatible with my filter. Can it really be the difference between a knock-off Unicel cartridge (C-8417) and an original Hayward (CX1750RE)?

FYI I saw the same behaviour with the old pump too so I don't think it is related to that. The pool company said I need a new pump and it was getting pretty old so thought I would try replacing it as a possible cause. The only thing left now is the cartridge.

Thanks for reading.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Unicel C-8417 is blocking flow

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 17 Aug, 2021 12:56

You say the pool was green, it could be the filter is doing it's job
Let's have your numbers (CYA is very important) Use a pool store if you don't have a FAS/DPD kit
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”