Sand Filter issue

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Savage1ZA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 70KL rectangular marble pool with fiber lining. 1.1kW pump with sand filter

Sand Filter issue

Postby Savage1ZA » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 04:58

Hi,

I have a 1.1kW pump on a ~70kL pool, with some weird thing I can't seem to place.

- Suction line remains fine throughout, kreepy runs, no suction leaks (pressure tested), no problems here what so ever.
- When the pump runs on recirculate, everything runs absolutely fine, no problems.
- When the pump runs on filter:
- I always get an "initial" burst of sand into the bath, which stops after a minute or so;
- I always get strong pressure at the start, with water returning back to the pool under a rather high pressure (granted, and I know, I can't expect as strong pressure as on recirculate mode, but that's not what this is about);
- Over time (an hour or so), the pressure of the water returning back to the pool will drastically reduce (I'd say < 30% of what it was initially);
- Turning the pump off for a while, and back on, the process repeats itself.

Thoughts, ideas?

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Sand Filter issue

Postby Teapot1 » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 09:57

You don't need high pressure at all, you need good flow. My pool is designed and runs at 0.5PSI but with the correct flow.
High pressure is just friction that robs you of flow and costs a lot in electricity.
Sadly the pool industry just cannot get to grips with the idea but give them another 10 years or so
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Savage1ZA
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 70KL rectangular marble pool with fiber lining. 1.1kW pump with sand filter

Postby Savage1ZA » Sun 05 Dec, 2021 14:20

Yea, sorry mind my terminology.

Pressure = flow. The flow reduces, drastically.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 06 Dec, 2021 03:28

OK, difficult to diagnose from my PC but two of the usual culprits are a damaged lateral in the sand filter and/or damaged spider gasket in the multiport.
When was the filter last serviced?
What size (dia) is the filter?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Savage1ZA
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Savage1ZA » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 08:09

Multiport is brand new, including the gasket.

Sand Filter is also brand new (120 liter filter), but the sand was recently replaced (by contractors, that did it with the utmost care - and I mean that sarcastically). I am not against the idea that a lateral could be damaged. I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet and take the sand out again.

ty for advice.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 07 Dec, 2021 09:30

Sounds like it, normally the laterals have a bit of give in them when new, they get brittle with age and chlorine. the filter should be half full of water the lessen the drop of the sand into the laterals.
If you are taking out the sand, consider re filling with Dryden Aqua's AFM ng media, the best you can get and it removes lots more than sand.
https://www.drydenaqua.com/afm/afm-ng

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”