Ongoing mystery

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Themoleman
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20k gallon salt water vinyl pool, two skimmer, Pentair diverter, Pentair Superflo pump, pentair multi port, Intellichlor chlorinator

Ongoing mystery

Postby Themoleman » Mon 20 Dec, 2021 10:27

A few months back whenever my timer started the pump on my saltwater system the pump would not prime and I had to manually add water in the pump filter basket. I ended up leaving it on 24/7 because I was afraid that I would be away when it came on and it would burn up. I checked the intake line from the pool basket back with a shop vac blowing air through the line and there was no blockage. My pool store tech told me there had to be a leak somewhere but none could be found. Next over time I was seeing lots of turbulence (Air) in the filter basket, then after a week or so I could hear air in the sand dollar and there were lots of air bubbles coming out the jets in the pool. My tech said I just needed to give it a longer backwash. It seemed to work better for a day or two. I also noticed my multiport valve leaked a tiny bit when in backwash so I tightened the screws and it seemed to work. I replaced the filter baskets gasket, replaced my diverter valve gasket. And it seemed a bit better but shortly was back full of air and the priming problem still there. Then this morning I went out and noticed no air bubbles in the pool and I could not hear bubbles in the sand dollar and the motor seemed quieter. I ran to the pump and all was well and perfect, no turbulence or air in the basket. There was not even air coming out when I opened the bleeder. How did it repair itself? The only thing different today is colder weather. Total mystery.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Ongoing mystery

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 20 Dec, 2021 16:46

A bit of dirt, clay, leaf etc blocked the hole where air was getting in.
You had an air leak on the skimmer line and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”