Pipes coming out of Spa Coping

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
redcheetah
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In ground pool with elevated spa. Quartz surface, Pentair pump, DE filter

Pipes coming out of Spa Coping

Postby redcheetah » Fri 14 Jan, 2022 17:30

I have two PVC pipes coming out of the coping on my pool spa - one on each side of the spa facing up. It looks like these pipes used to attach to something because they are threaded on the inside. When I turn on the spa, water bubbles up out of the pipes but not forcefully. I have had a few pool guys come out but no one knows what they do. We are wanting to cap them off, as we loose water out of them when the spa is turned on, but I don't want to hurt the pool. Does anyone know what these could be?

dynamictiger
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: one of them is 713,342 gallons
I look after lots and lots

Re: Pipes coming out of Spa Coping

Postby dynamictiger » Thu 17 Mar, 2022 15:47

redcheetah wrote:I have two PVC pipes coming out of the coping on my pool spa - one on each side of the spa facing up. It looks like these pipes used to attach to something because they are threaded on the inside. When I turn on the spa, water bubbles up out of the pipes but not forcefully. I have had a few pool guys come out but no one knows what they do. We are wanting to cap them off, as we loose water out of them when the spa is turned on, but I don't want to hurt the pool. Does anyone know what these could be?

Its difficult based on the description only, however these are likely air venturi pipes.

The air is normally sucked down when the booster pump switches on. I suspect swarf or other rubbish has got into the jets and is causing reverse flow up the pipe. Try asking a pool serviceman to remove the venturi from the jet inside the spa, turn the system on, run for a few minutes, turn off, put venturi back in place and I suspect the problem will be solved.

Threading could indicate there was originally a blower attached to these pipes. I suspect the blower got water in it and failed when the venturi blocked, and was consequently removed.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”