Air in filter basket

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dmm
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 18 X 52 above ground dual inlet
After market simple sand filter
Intex saltwater system

Air in filter basket

Postby dmm » Sun 24 Apr, 2022 19:36

I have intex above ground pool double inlet hook up. I closed off one inlet and used b adapter to use valve plunger so I could close off to stop water flow. Opened pool and have air pocket in filter basket on pump, the longer it runs the more air there is and water level drops below where water flows into basket. I can hear sucking noise from line at connection point as it goes from pump to sand filter ( on filter side) There is no air release valve on filter and pressure does not go high. When I use vacuum I have absolutely no pressure and no suction. I have taken off every hose at all connections and checked o rings and put Vaseline on before reconnecting. I have older style intex plungers that have safety vacuum valves. Any other suggestions, I am at my wits end trying to figure out.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Air in filter basket

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 25 Apr, 2022 01:08

Definately a suction side air leak, have you lubed the the pump basket "O" ring
dmm
I'm new here
I'm new here
Intex saltwater system

Postby dmm » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 18:31

I put Vaseline around all the lines on that side. Stopped the air sucking noise but can't keep putting Vaseline on it. Any suggestions on what I can use that could seal it
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 29 Apr, 2022 23:59

New O rings? They go flat and harden after a while so tend to leak. Vaseline is not good, should be thick silicon grease really.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 30 Apr, 2022 02:25

Teapot1 wrote:New O rings? They go flat and harden after a while so tend to leak. Vaseline is not good, should be thick silicon grease really.

Seconded, but first you need to find the source. Put shaving foam around the joints and see what gets sucked in but that "O" ring is the most obvious
dmm
I'm new here
I'm new here
Intex saltwater system

Postby dmm » Mon 02 May, 2022 19:27

I replaced all the cheap plastic ring clamps with metal clamps, checked and bought all new o rings and gaskets, still have suction problem when I attach my vacuum, I make sure water is in vacuum hose before attaching to inlet..... Any suggestions really beginning to irritate. Can't vacuum out dead algea and scum settling on bottom
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 May, 2022 01:30

Have you tried using another vacuum hose from someone

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”