Question about pool filter sand

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Orgeno
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16’x30’, vinyl, in ground, filter 20” jacuzzi MFM20 sand.

Question about pool filter sand

Postby Orgeno » Sun 15 May, 2022 15:00

hi everyone, I’m planning on replacing the sand on my filter, I have 20” Jacuzzi Mfm20 sand filter and on the tank label it says “silica sand 48 effective size” and it takes 250lb. Just need to which sand grade I need to buy. Thank you in advance.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Question about pool filter sand

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 16 May, 2022 11:35

1st question is why are you replacing the sand?
Sand doesn't wear out in the filter, that is pool industry lies, it can get very dirty though so worth cleaning.
If you are replacing then use the best Dr Drydens activate AFM ng, the best makes looking after a pool easier
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Orgeno
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16’x30’, vinyl, in ground, filter 20” jacuzzi MFM20 sand.

Postby Orgeno » Mon 16 May, 2022 11:45

Thanks for the reply, the filter is working fine as of last season been using the pool for 3 years now I read it was recommended. So don’t fix what’s not broken.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Mon 16 May, 2022 15:06

Sadly not true, the sands been around a few million years so 3 years in your filter wont harm it BUT, giving a good clean is a good idea. Just dont let any cleaner get into the pool so valve it off or block ports off but a good clean works wonders. As I said earlier changing to AFM makes a huge difference and the ng version will be amazing. I have been running AFM for about 17 years its been really good but swapping to the ng version this year.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”